2000W Ego Nexus Power Station Released!!!

• Praise
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
  • (Edited)
Pro Tool Reviews just posted a video showing Ego's new 2000W generator!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnOA75qztkA

2000W continuous, 3000W surge, charges batteries if plugged in, and future solar panel compatibility?!?!?!?  It's not cheap, but comes with 2 7.5Ah batteries.

WOW, I think this is what SO many people have been waiting for!!!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
  • AWESOME!

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Arun A

Arun A

• 434 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the heads up!!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

It’s live on Home Depot’s site now:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-56-Vo...

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,650 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Looks great.  Love that the batteries can be swapped while the unit is running. So, if you have extra batteries or are charging batteries with a separate stand alone charger, your run time is greatly increased over SOB with internal batteries. 
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 8,810 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
When I first saw this on their website I thought it was a "boom-box" - what a disappointment  : )
(Edited)
Photo of Ernest

Ernest

• 60 Points
It needs wheels to make it more mobile instead of carrying it around.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 11,100 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
This looks awesome!  But please don't be a square wave inverter like the Nexus Escape.
I downloaded the manual and searched for "square wave", "sine wave" and "modified sine" and had absolutely zero hits.   Can anybody confirm what type of output power waveform this guy delivers? For that price, I would hope it is at least a modified sine wave...
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Pure Sine Wave
Photo of summetj

summetj

Nice! Now why couldn't Ego put that in the manual or on the box as a bullet point?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

I bet it will be soon.  It is a huge +
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It's a beautiful sine wave. Perfect and not at all digital. Zooming in on the wave showed absolutely no digital signal
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,784 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Is that a 7.5Ah battery with the new fuel guage.??
Mentioned in the PTR video and the unit comes with 2 7.5 batteries.

Photo of Matthew William

Matthew William

• 1,372 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I dont know too much about generators.  But say Power goes out how long full capacity will this run say a freezer/fridge/garage opener a couple times/a few led lamps?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,688 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It is going to depend on how much power you are drawing and how many and what size batteries you have.  Some of the smarter and more electrical minded folks on this site (or Ego on there sire) will soon be posting some more tangible stats on run time.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
A single 7.5Ah battery should power a typical refrigerator compressor for 2 hours or more continuously. Since the compressor only runs when needed, I could see it lasting a day.

Of course there are large variables here, like the efficiency of the fridge and how often/long the door is opened.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 10,800 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
My full sized house fridge/freezer draws 800w when running the compressor. In a hurricane power outage situation, I normally run the compressor of 1-2 hours in the morning and again 1-2 hours in the evening (not running over night or in the middle of the day), so 2-4 hours at 800 w = 1,600 to 3,200 watt hours.  A 7.5 AH battery has about 400 watt hours usable, so the two that this comes with could run my fridge compressor for an hour.

A smaller or more efficient fridge may only draw 400 watts when running, but mine draws 800.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Thanks for the input! Off the top of my head I had no idea how much power a fridge required, and a quick Google wasn’t too helpful. So the estimate I got was pretty low!

What size is your fridge? Now that I think about it, I seem to remember seeing energy stickers in new full sized fridges around 600kWh/yr, so about 1600Wh/day if memory serves. That’s four 7.5Ah batteries if just left plugged in and running normally, for a ~28cuft fridge.
Photo of Matthew William

Matthew William

But im guessing the fridge compressor is actually running for a full 2-4 hours, correct?
Photo of summetj

summetj

Not sure of the exact size, but full two door fridge/freezer combo. The sticker says 11.6 amps, but I suspect that is the max rating. It is new enough that I'm relatively sure it's energy star, but I bought it used so I don't know for sure. 

During normal usage on grid power, the compressor motor only runs intermittently...but in a power outage, I only plug it in twice a day, and let the compressor run continuously until it stops (because the fridge/freezer got down to temperature again).
Photo of Alain

Alain

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm not sure it will work with a compressor refrigerator. The problem with compressors is that there is a very high power demand at startup. (There is even a winding in addition to the engine to start) Because in a refrigerator compressor must start load. For a handyman compressor there is no load because the compressor stops is meant a "pschitt" which corresponds to the air that goes outside to prevent the pressure remains in the piston and that the effort is too big to restart
Sorry for my bad english I'm french
Photo of max power

max power

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
the label is max current rating, yes. the ego nexus power station is good for 3kW surge (max config), 2kW continuous and will run motor driven devices like fridges.

as an anecdote, i ran my medium size kitchen fridge off one configured with 21Ah of batteries (about 1kWh capacity) for 10-12 hours with no problems.
Photo of Alain

Alain

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Ok thanks for this information it's good news so !!

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,638 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
EGO has answered the question about sine wave on the Home Depot inverter product page. It's a true sine wave.

March 1, 2019
Hi Bob, good question! It's a true sine wave. Thank you for your question.

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,638 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Matthew, according to specs on the Home Depot inverter page it says 5 hrs at 50% load. But note that you can swap out batteries on the fly to extend run time.
(Edited)
Photo of Matthew William

Matthew William

does starting wattage affect your remaining wattage?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Starting is just to accommodate the inrush current of equipment as it starts up. Motors typically draw a large current “spike” when they are first powered on.
Photo of Matthew William

Matthew William

also are running watts per hour?  because say a sump pump is rated at say 800 but only runs for a few seconds a few times a day in some cases.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,784 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Correct so it would run much longer as it is not running continuously.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

800W for one hour is 800Wh, 0.8kWh. If it only runs for 10 min a day, that’s 800/6=133Wh. If we assume 90% efficiency for the inverter, that’s 133/0.9=148Wh.
Photo of Matthew William

Matthew William

understand, now i just need to understand how often an appliance might run per hour.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

If you’re serious about backup power you should get a power meter like a Kill-a-watt and measure the devices you plan to use. That way you’ll know for sure.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,716 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
If you are swapping out batteries, I guess you don't have a power outtage.  :)  Sounds like this unit is more for portable power rather than for a power outtage.
Photo of max power

max power

in PGE fire hazard outage land, it's not unusual in the SF Bay Area to have power in a low-risk neighborhood in the flats (less wind, fewer trees) just blocks away from 20k people in the hills without electricity.

in this scenario, it's doable to drive downhill, charge up, and come back. it's like if you we're living off-grid within walking distance of a starbucks.
(Edited)
Photo of Matthew William

Matthew William

So is this more of a light duty generator?  Maybe for a power outage that lasts a few hours?  Run a couple of appliances lights and a tv?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

It will provide up to 2000W continuously as long as your batteries will power it. Think: whatever you can plug into a standard 120V wall socket, maybe a little more.
Photo of summetj

summetj

A 7.5 AH battery (at 56 volts) has 420 watt hours of capacity (probably only 400 usable, especially with older batteries...my 3 year old 7.5 AH battery only takes 320 watt hours to recharge now...)

So with four 7.5 AH batteries, this guy could run at 1,600 watts for about an hour, or 2,000 watts for about 45 minutes.

Now, if you were just running a big TV (300 watts) and a few lights (50 watts if LED), this guy with four 7.5 AH batteries could run them for (approximately) 4 and a half hours.

Photo of summetj

summetj

Funny...when I looked at the Home Depot page this morning, the price was $999 (but it was not available in my local store, or any store within 100 miles, and they wouldn't ship it.)

Now it's listed at $1197, and they are willing to ship it to me or my store.

At $999 it's tempting. At $1,200, it's a bit "boy I wish I could buy one of those".  I wonder if Ego will send out coupons like they did with the Nexus Escape....
Photo of ClarkM

ClarkM

• 1,544 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Will this be available without batteries for those of us that have invested heavily already and don't need to spend an extra 500-700?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 67,194 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It doesn't appear to be currently. But Ego typically releases its new tools as kits, then later releases them as bare tools. I would expect that to be the same with this. But I haven't paid close enough attention to know whether there is a pattern as to how long it is before bare tools become available.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 90,700 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Don't know for sure, but most Ego products are initially released as a kit with batteries and then some time later as a bare tool.   Will have to wait and see if this one follows that familiar pattern.
Photo of ClarkM

ClarkM

• 1,544 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I would love to know what price to expect. I don't have an extra $1200...but if the bare tool was 600 I could justify that...
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 9,538 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Well, the two batteries are "worth" $700 if you buy them retail. That leaves $500 for the "inverter/charger" part.  That not totally unreasonable for a true sine wave 2,000 watt inverter that is specific to a particular battery line. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 90,700 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hard to say
The lawn mowers 7.5 to bare tool pricing
Composite deck $549 / $429
Steel Deck $749 / $499

Kits usually include the batteries at a rather large discount so I would not expect a $600 reduction for the bare tool.  But there have been other strange pricing scenerios we could not make sense of .  Will have to wait and see.
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 10,498 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I have one of these, with two 5.0ah batteries i was able to power a 42" TV and modem/router for just ovdr 2.5 hours.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

I do not think that sounds right
Photo of Erik

Erik

Well you can think that, but thays the runtime I got with those items. Im just stating what I got with my use.
Photo of summetj

summetj

Why didn't you use the (new) 7.5 AH batteries that come with the power station?  (If those 5.0 AH batteries were older, they may have diminished capacity when compared to new batteries.)
Photo of Erik

Erik

Because mine is a bare tool.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

how did you get the new 200W power station that is not yet available.
Photo of Erik

Erik

Probably the same way Pro Tool did
Photo of summetj

summetj

Man, I need to get into the tool review video business...of course, my production values are not as nice....and I usually complain a lot about the negatives ;>  [Ego probably wouldn't appreciate me reviewing the Nexus Escape....]
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Erik, which media outlet do you work with?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Ok, but a TV and modem are not very big power draws.  So, again doesn't sound right.  I am not saying you are reporting wrong info, just saying that I would expect longer run time
Photo of Erik

Erik

Maybe the batteries have less capacity? I think theyre going on just over 3 years? I dony know. I got both results both times on that test.

Blue Angel, not with the Fake News haha jk

Anyways I'm a regular consumer.
(Edited)
Photo of summetj

summetj

Compare this to the Goal Zero Yeti 1400 - Which costs $1,800
https://www.goalzero.com/shop/portable-power/yeti-1400-lithium-portable-power-station/?gclid=EAIaIQo...

The Yeti has a 1,500 watt (3,000 watt surge) inverter, and 1,428 watt/hour battery built in. (That equates to about 3.5 7.5 AH ego batteries).

So the $1,200 price point seems reasonable, especially for somebody who already has a few extra batteries laying around that could be used to raise the total energy storage of the system.

I expect that with more and more competitors in this market segment, the price of all of these "battery generators" will start to drop over time.
Photo of Matthew William

Matthew William

Yeah for me this would be a luxury buy,  I need to focus on expanding my yard equipment.
Photo of SLG

SLG

• 588 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
A high quality 2000 Watt pure sine wave inverter will cost about 500 bucks or even more.  

Two 7.5AH batteries will cost like 500 bucks easily. Then 200 bucks for the casing and wife/bluetooth connection and other stuff.

$1197 seems pretty reasonable.
Still a luxury buy
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

The sine wave on this thing is perfect. Nicest I've ever scanned.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

I know we went thru this somewhat with the first Ego inverter, but could you expand on why you say that and what it means in practical use for those of us that are not knowledgeable on electrical matters.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

It means you can run sensitive equipment on it. Extremely sensitive equipment
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

It also means that they put in a 300$ (guestimation)wholesale inverter in this thing. It's no toy.
Plus I suspect from the wiring on the charger, that they left it open for future solar expansion. Also a guestimation, but a very probable one.
I ran my shop vac on it, my big 16 gallon shop vac. It worked great
This is the most innovative tool ego has produced. With a power quality second to none. I'm blown away by it.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Also running ac motors on a digital sine wave is bad news, running them on this thing, is great.
I even cut 1.5" oak on my table saw being powered by this.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Awesome - thanks for the additional info
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,062 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
You got the EGO fever back again Jacob, glad to hear from you.  When will we see your Frankenmower V 5.0, with the new Nexus Power Station?
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Ha. This year I need to modify the drivetrain. It's performing amazing. I am looking for 2 motors from 21" self propelled mowers now to increase power to the blades. I have one now.

Otherwise I'm going to lower the profile and modify the deck to make it shorter and more compact.

After all of this time, I'm still using the original 4 ah battery I got when ego first came out. It's probably 75% capacity. Probably over 800 cycles on it. Maybe more
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Always fun to hear tales of the Frankenmower and great to hear of Ego battery longevity!
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,062 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Why wait Jacob, just use Man Power - its pure sine wave every day ... :-)

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,948 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
It’s been a while, Jacob, I think we’re due for another Frankenmower update video! :-)
Photo of summetj

summetj

Question: What is volt/amp output on the offboard charger?  (I assume you are referring to DC input on the main unit itself which could be solar compatible?)
Photo of Erik

Erik

Top also has a nice storage compartment for cords.
Photo of summetj

summetj

Could you please post a photo of the bottom of the power brick with the ratings/certifications info? I'm most interested in what the output DC voltage (I assume?) from the power brick is.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 9,874 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Already owning a nice quiet Honda Inverter (2000W), I can't see in most scenarios me choosing the EGO power station over the a gas generator in most of my use cases. Most times I use my inverter with my camper for days where there is no electricity. If you don't have a power source to recharge a battery-powered power station...it becomes useless after a day's use. 

I could see though if you have some indoor needs for power (like a short-term power hit or work at an indoor construction site) where the EGO power station would come in handy. Now, if the power station non-kit (no batteries) is set at a reasonable price...I could see where I could justify this as not only a power station but also as a charging station for my batteries.   
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

You could plug the ego Nexus into the generator. Then at night turn off the generator and you would still have power without the generator on. I see it as being used for this type of application.
Photo of SLG

SLG

I just build a diy solar cart. 2 x 100AH renogy gel batteries, 3000W inverter. 40A MPPT charge controller, 4 x 100W panel. Cost more than $1500.00 all together.

for $1200 with 2 x 7.5AH battery, now this power station seems a pretty good deal to me.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I’m sure there’s some good bang for buck with your diy setup! But the Nexus is still pretty appealing, especially for those who aren’t comfortable messing with electricity.

Got any pics of your creation?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Slg. Your setup has 200 ah at 12v(12.something) so 2400 to 2600 watt hrs and the ego has only 800 watt hours maybe. So your way better off. 3x capacity. Plus solar for 300 dollars more.
Pretty nice setup. Now pictures or it's not true
Photo of summetj

summetj

Keep in mind that those led acid gel cells are only good for half their "rated" capacity (discharge to 50%) if you want them to last more than 1 or 2 cycles. So it's closer to 1,200 watt hours of power storage vs the Ego's 800-880.

So add another 7.5 AH @ 56V battery (400-420 watt hour) at another $350 to get the Ego Power Station up to the same capacity.
Photo of summetj

summetj

My LiIon backup power battery (24V @ 110 AH = 2640 watt hours) cost $500 (made out of used Nissan Leaf modules)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Plus lead acid has a terribly low continuous maximum discharge rating. To run my 46" ego powered mower I built,bi would need five 200 ah batteries where I get to use four 5ah ego batteries to supply the demand.
Granted runtime of 100ah vs 20 is alot, but like you said, it's more like 50 vs 20. Which is still a big difference.
I have pulled 100 amps momentarily from four 5ah batteries without issue. Going up hill through some 2' tall grass. At 6mph
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Odyssey lead acid batteries are good for 80% dod, in case anyone’s interested. I have a 12 year old PC680 motorcycle battery that’s still going strong, used to start a v8. I’ve drained it completely several times and it bounced right back. It sits all winter and is still fully charged in the spring.

It’s more expensive than a typical lead acid battery, but it’s darn impressive.
Photo of SLG

SLG

Here is the picture of my diy build. 

Goal is to provide backup power to import house appliance.
Whole thing is on wheels so it can be pushed around easily. 

I currently only have 3 100W panel installed. On sunny day, it can easily generate over 200W electricity.

2x100AH batters 2x$200=$400
3000Watt inverter $400
40A mppt charge controler plus MT50 $300
4x100w panel $400
cables (those 1/0 awg cables are expensive) , connector $200

So all together well over $1500

To prolong batter life, if I only use 20% capacity, I only get about 40AH * 12=480wh capacity.

For the ego power generator

You have really good 2000w pure sine wave inverted easily worth over $400
  2x7.5ah battery easily worth over $500

You got 2*7.5*56=840wh. There are even more available capacity considering lithium has no issue with depleting to 10%.

So with these calculations, the $1200 ego power station really make sense.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Are your batteries not a deep cycle design? I would think going beyond 20% should be doable, especially in the case of a power outage. At that point I personally wouldn’t be too worried about shortening the life of my batteries.
Photo of Erik

Erik

Im sure they'll add some sort of solar panel for charging later on.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 9,852 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I wonder though how much charging time that will take. If on electricity it takes 13 hours to charge four 7.5 aH batteries...how long will it take with solar panels?
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,474 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If a solar option will allow it hopefully the solar can be used as a steady trickle instead of trying to charge a fully discharged battery.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

If that scenario plays out, the solar panel ideally would have enough average power to both meet the needs of whatever is running during the day AND charge the batteries at the same time.

Fingers crossed!!!
Photo of summetj

summetj

Hey Erik, how many volts/amps does the offboard power brick put out? (i.e. how many volts/amps would a solar setup need to provide to equate to the offboard power brick?)
Photo of Erik

Erik

Photo of summetj

summetj

Interesting. The 170 watts is good info, that puts an upper bound on size/number of solar panels needed. (One large house sized panel, or 8 of the little harbor freight 25 watt panels....)

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought that the external power block would convert 120V AC into a lower voltage DC current to power the charger in the Power Station.  I was wondering if they were using a lower DC voltage (like 12 or 24 volts) and stepping it up inside the power station to charge, or if the power brick was outputting a 60-70 volt DC which would make the internal charger electronics easier.

A 12 or 24 volt DC input would make plugging in a solar panel very easy....and 60-70 volt DC input would require a lot of panels in series.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Erik, is there an output listed on the charger brick or just an input?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Ooo, there's that mention of a 10 ah battery again!! (10000 mah battery in the red text)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

I just saw that too. That would be amazing.
Photo of summetj

summetj

Guess they don't state the DC output voltage....anybody got a multi-meter?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Mine is broken.. you would think that I would have spares. But I don't....... Not to self. Get new volt meter.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Jacob, Harbor Freight has their coupon for their free meter with any purchase. Might only be good for one use, LOL, but enough to get that measurement.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Id rather use my skin to test voltages than use something from harbor freight
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

LOL.
Photo of SLG

SLG

I think it says Maximum 10AH battery, not necessarily a battery model they are going to release.
Photo of SLG

SLG

I think it says Maximum 10AH battery, not necessarily a battery model they are going to release.
Photo of SLG

SLG

The faster charger is rated at 550W

So 170W is awfully slow to charge 4 batteries.

It is faster just use the quick charger to charge the battery and use the power station to supply power.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Unless you are using it for remote power and bringing it back to a power source each day.  Then it is convenient to charge all 4 batteries at once, overnight,  and not have to worry about rotating them thru the rapid charger.  So, all depends on the situation. 
Photo of SLG

SLG

I agree. Just think the 170W power brick is too small since there is 550 quick charger right there.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

The REAL cool thing is they’re planning to have solar charging in the future, so you just set it out to charge during the day and use it at night.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Oh, and they are releasing a 10Ah battery. That leaked a while back. ;-)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Blue. They are going to add solar capabilities? Are you sure?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

That’s what they said in the PTR video. I’m sure they wouldn’t make that up.
Photo of summetj

summetj

If you had four depleted 7.5 AH batteries on the unit, it would take at least 5 hours to recharge them all.  That doesn't seem unreasonably long, although 4x quick chargers would do the same thing in 1 hour (but possibly need more than one 15 amp circuit in your house ;>)

Compare this to the Yeti Goal zero (1440 watt hour model) which takes 25 hours to fully charge with their (60 watt, 5A at 12 volt!) wall charger.  (It can actually charge faster using solar panels (360 watts max input).)  I assume if you cobbled together a 12 volt 360 watt power adapter you could charge the Yeti in 4.5 hours from a wall outlet...)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

SWEEEEET. I need to watch that video again!
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Summetj. I've popped my 15 amp breakers charging too many batteries more times than once. Those are some hungry batteries
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Would you look at that. I'm a bit slow I guess
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

It looks like charge times are a bit longer based on a question and EGO answer on Home Depot's page. Still not 25 hours though, so that's good.

EGO Support Team.

March 1, 2019
Hi Tbird, yes it can. To fully charge two 7.5Ah batteries you are looking at 8-10 hours. Thank you for your question.

Photo of summetj

summetj

Well, the 170 watts on the label is a maximum, so it could certainly take longer....but I'm surprised it would take 8-10 hours to charge two 7.5AH batteries. They are a maximum of 420 watt hours each, so 840 watt hours. Divided by 10 hours, that is only 84 watts per hour.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

I thought I read / heard 13 hours to recharge four 7.5 Ah batteries
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

szwoopp, I thought I had read the same but couldn't find it again.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

PTR Told us Mike

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Hah!
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

SLG, yeah as Blue said the 10 ah battery was leaked awhile ago. Here is the cover of the 2.5ah battery with fuel gauge manual showing a 10ah battery mentioned on it. I circled it in green. 

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

The Nexus has no fans for battery cooling, so it’s doubtful we’ll see even Standard charger charge times. Unless they’re able to tailor the charging current profile to the battery size (x4!), something the current chargers don’t do (to my knowledge).

I guess they could use the temperature thermistor to regulate charge current based on how hot the battery gets, but I don’t know how robust that approach would be.
Photo of SLG

SLG

hmm

170W x13hours=2210 WH
4x7.5X56=1680wh

Efficiency 1680/2210=76%

Quick 550 Charger according to home depot 
  • Charges in the 2.0 Ah battery in 25-minutes and the 4.0 Ah battery in 30-minutes

550W X 0.5Hour=275wh
4*56=224wh
Efficiency 224/275=81%

Seems like the quick charger is a little bit more efficient.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

If you monitor the input of the chargers you’ll see they don’t draw constant power, they ramp up and down. So it’s not as simple as power x time.

If you use a Kill-a-watt or similar meter you can see the cumulative watt-hours and use that for comparison.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ego just posted their commercial for the Power Station:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWdoBUud-M4
Photo of SLG

SLG

I like how they organize the tool on the wall. It looks very neat.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

That’s my garage:

Hahaha, I couldn’t even type that with a straight face!
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 9,852 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Anybody else put there lawnmower up like that? If so, are you supporting it with just a hook on top or additional support on the bottom?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I think it’s fine if it’s hung by the deck handle.

I hang mine upside down from the ceiling in winter, but I use a bike hanging system.
Photo of Alex H.

Alex H.

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
One of my biggest pet peeves, marketing materials without cords. Anyone know if it's possible to run power cords behind gladiator storage systems like this? Otherwise, those battery chargers are going to be pretty useless there. 
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,434 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
So, Alex, are you planning on putting up a storage system like this? Looking forward to seeing it when you are done.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,434 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Anyway, the answer is yes, wires can be run behind it if you use 2x4 spacers to space it away from the wall. 
Photo of Alex H.

Alex H.

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'd consider it but I wouldn't hold your breath. I store all my tools (summer) in an open barn from the 1800s. I think the clean lines of the gladiator system would stick out like a sore thumb. Right now I hang most of it on rusty nails and hooks. 

In the winter it all gets squirreled away in the basement crawlspace.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Yep. Wires can be ran behind.

Also at Lowe's today they had the gladiator panes on clearance for 27 bucks each. Get over to one and see if they are being cleared out for you too
Photo of Erik

Erik

I'm surprised with the price its back ordered.

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

It is a high priced item, but as discussed here it is a fair(or better) price based on the comparable products.  So, if you are in the market for this type of tool it makes sense.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Good news for us ego tool owners. The more they sell, the more tool offerings we will have. GO POWER STATION!!
Photo of SLG

SLG

There were 3 Ego nexus Power station on eBay at $999 each. They are all gone by now. Hope somebody here got one!
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 69,936 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Waiting for the inevitable "I bought this on ebay and it failed and now I can't get warranty coverage" rants.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 104,032 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
My first thought was $200 is a great deal for a 5 year warranty on a new release electronic device.
Photo of Erik

Erik

Solar solution coming in 2020.
Photo of Joshua Moor

Joshua Moor

• 60 Points
Where did you see that? Did EGO have a news release? 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

I have seen it in various tool reviews.
Photo of Arun A

Arun A

I just saw the bare tool is $788. There's also one option that comes with four 5ah batteries. I'll get that price in a second.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,012 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Where is this available
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 69,050 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Arun, please share a link to the $788 price. And for the 5ah option.
Thanks.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,688 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Whew, $400 more for an extra 5Ah (15Ah vs 20Ah) for the 4 x 5Ah kit. Not a great value.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,688 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Bare tool at $788 makes sense though.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 69,050 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
And 4 x 5ah nearly $500 more than BORG's price for 2 x 7.5ah.

Bare tool price does seem pretty good though.

Thanks Erik.
Photo of Arun A

Arun A

Sorry guys I'm just now able to get back to this thread. But I may go with the two 7.5 Ah battery option. I already have one 7.5ah battery & one 5ah battery. So the two 7.5ah option looks the best way for me to go.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Workshop Addict just put the Power Station through its paces:

https://youtu.be/uwSsqMrVs4c
Photo of Sanjoy Sinha

Sanjoy Sinha

• 72 Points
I plan to use it for sump-pump application. Does this have pass-through power? If the batteries are depleted, and there is power, would it pass-through power to the sump-pump instead of waiting for the batteries to be charged up?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 91,514 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It is either powering or it is charging.  There is no auto switch over or pass thru.
You have to chose how it is to be used and manually change to the other when wanted / needed.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,368 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Negative sir. You could put in a relay but that would suck power all day. It's a tough one.
Photo of Sanjoy Sinha

Sanjoy Sinha

• 72 Points
Thanks. Also, would it be safe to leave it connected to power, and my backup sump pump drawing power from it, while I am gone on vacation? Any risk of overheating / fire from keeping it connected to power and charging continuously, for days? 

Also, do the batteries emit any gas, and therefore unsafe to leave it indoors?
(Edited)
Photo of theodore sardena

theodore sardena

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I just bought 2000W Ego Nexus Power Station PST3042 6/23/2019. The app shows one of the batteries will only charge to 90% and the other to 97%. Support said a software update would fix it.

Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Photo of theodore sardena

theodore sardena

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
found a similar post. Solution is to run it on a load to drain the batteries, then charge them again.
Photo of Mcklain

Mcklain

• 5,412 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Anyone can confirm if all those power stations come with the new G3 P3 Batterie with the fuel gauge (specifically the 2x7.5Ah package)?
Thanks.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,046 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Not sure anyone can confirm 100% but there have been posts stating that purchasers received G3 batteries with the power station kit.
Photo of max power

max power

the 2 x 7.5 Ah nexus i bought from home depot a week ago came with circular gauge display batteries in boxes with the label model BA4200T