20" Steel (LM2022SP) Blade Tip Speed

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • In Progress
Anyone have any idea what the blade tip speed on this mower is/how it compares to a typical gas mower?  

If my math is correct, I want to say the EGO has a roughly 15,700fpm blade tip speed whereas something like the Toro Super recycler has a 16,500fpm blade tip speed.

Anyone know for certain and whether or not that's been an issue with tearing the grass?

Thanks,
Chappy
Photo of Landon Chapman

Landon Chapman

• 246 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Pete Innes

Pete Innes

• 2,766 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
We use our mowers in a lawn care business. We have no issues with grass tearing (except when we have put the blade on upside down lol). The LM2100 performs as good as the Honda engined has mowers we used to have. The hi lift blade is a great design (apart from the decrease in make time).
Photo of Eric55

Eric55

• 1,546 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Chappy,
I cannot comment on the blade speed but in the past three years I have not had an issue with tearing of the grass.  However with that being said the blade on the EGO mowers is much softer than on a traditional gas mower.  This means it gets dull much quicker and needs to be sharpened a lot more.  Some readers claim to sharpen the blade after each use.  I mow an 1/2 acre of Kentucky blue grass twice a week that is free of rocks and debris.  Since the mower folds upright I typically do a light sharpen once a month.  It takes less than 5 minutes.  Not a bad investment in time for a great looking lawn

Hope this help!
(Edited)
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 242 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
At 21" diameter and 2800 max RPM on the 2102SP = 15386 fpm, and I am seeing as good of cut quality as most mowers. I do have a sharp blade. This is a photo of a cut made 2 days ago.

Some more math: at a mowing speed of 3 mph (faster than I mow by a least a little) the mower is moving across the lawn at 3168 in/min. At 2800 rpm and two blade tips, the mower is taking 0.566 inches per rev. Makes me wonder if one could just sharpen an inch on the end of each tip and still get an acceptable cut?

Photo of Landon Chapman

Landon Chapman

Thanks everyone.  My 20" steel deck gets delivered tomorrow and, because I'm an idiot, I keep looking around the net and now I'm nervous that I chose the EGO over the Toro SmartStow.  I always do this to myself, lol.

Thanks for helping this guy feel better.  I'm in Indianapolis so Eric55, your comment makes me feel better too because I'm certain we have similar grass types.
Photo of Eric55

Eric55

• 1,546 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Two quick points to help you feel even better.  Try to cut dry grass if possible with the standard blade.  Wet grass can sometimes clump.  If you still dissatisfied with the cut of the standard blade then try the high lift blade.  While designed for bagging  I have found it does a better job of mulching.  As previously stated the only downside is a decrease in the run time but not an issue.  
Photo of Landon Chapman

Landon Chapman

I do my best to adhere to the 1/3 rule when cutting so I'm certain that will likely help as well.  When I bought the mower online, I also bought a spare (regular) blade.  The blade actually came yesterday, two days before the mower arrives. 

So, this morning I dropped that blade off at the local shop to be sharpened and balanced.  When the mower comes tomorrow, I'll take the pre-installed blade off and install the freshly sharpened blade and see how it goes.  I realize it may be silly to sharpen a brand new blade, but I never trust factory-sharpened blades (for all mfgr.'s, not just EGO).

That said, at some point I'll start sharpening myself (I'm a big DIY guy) but my lawn is starting to overgrow quite a bit and needed to get a cut in ASAP.

All that said, I just ordered two (2) 20" high lift blades from Europe.  By the time they arrive, I'm certain I'll have at least a dozen cuts logged with the standard blade by which to compare.  We'll see!

Again, thanks Eric.

- Chappy
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 162,818 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Glad you figured out the HL blade for your 20” Steel Deck Mower. I think everyone was assuming you were getting the 21” model. :-)

Either way, I’m sure you’re going to like the new mower. Blades are cheap, good to have on hand, and it’s nice to have the HL option to try out... even if they do need to be imported!