20 inch Blade Causes Shaking

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • In Progress
I have tried two new blades for my 20 inch mower. Both times they cause the mower to be louder and have a slight vibration. When I take them off and put the old blade on, the issues go away. Did something change with the blade or did I just have two unlucky purchases from Amazon?
Photo of James

James

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Fred Clarke

Fred Clarke

• 838 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
How long are the new blades? The new high lift blades for the 21 inch mower (20.25 inches long) do as you describe. That is some vibration, Loader motor, less battery life.
Photo of Mcklain

Mcklain

• 5,422 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Are you saying that using the new High lift blade with the 21'' mower you are getting more vibration??  Cause since my last 2-3 mows I am feeling that unpleasant vibration that I never felt before.  I am on 21'' push mower and I installed the high lift blade maybe 2 months ago.  I am currently not using any bagging just mulching (I know the high lift blade is made for better bagging).  The vibration is only happening when I am actually mowing not when I am idle and not walking....
Photo of keenanj

keenanj

• 2,978 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Me too (though on the 21"). Loud and I am 99% sure it's making my motor work harder. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The HL blade will make the mower work harder, for sure.
Photo of Mcklain

Mcklain

• 5,422 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Well today I put back my original blade and it made a big difference.  The unpleasant vibration is gone and I dont feel it anymore in the handles and of course the mower is also alot less quiet (mulching was better also wich I know the high lift blade is not made for).

Should I contact Ego about the high lift blade making that vibration?
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
The 20" blade design hasn't changed, p/n AB2000. Sounds like two bad blades. You should check the balance per the manual (balance using a screwdriver through the center hole).
Photo of James

James

I ordered the standard 20 inch blade (AB2000). The blade seems balanced, but there is definitely a difference with the new blades.

I think I might just send back to Amazon and pick one up at the local Home Depot.
(Edited)
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 72,258 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Just to be clear, you are installing the blade with the "this side toward the grass" side toward the grass?
Just out of curiosity, why did you put on a new blade?
Photo of James

James

Yes. Both the old blade and the new blade were installed in the same direction. The old blade is getting a little dull and I don't have much experience sharpening. We have a local place that sharpens but it is only a few dollars cheaper than just getting a new blade. Probably time to just invest in the tools to sharpen the old blade.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yep. Right angle grinder with flapper wheel. Works great