Traveling Restrictions for the 56-Volt Lithium-ion Cordless Lawn Mower Battery?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I'm thinking of buying this product for my father as a gift but I don't leave in USA and would need to bring with me as a checked luggage. 
I know there are some restrictions related to the Lithium Battery on planes. Do you know if there is any problem of carrying the battery that comes with the product on a plane?
Thank you.
Photo of Cassiano Reis

Cassiano Reis

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
I'm unclear on a couple of things, but let me see if I can help.

If your father lives in the U.S. and you're coming here to visit him, you're probably better off buying the mower here. A major store chain called Home Depot is the exclusive seller in the U.S., but they,re quite common all over the U.S. The mower is pretty bulky and heavy. I can't imagine what kind of a fee an airline would charge you to bring it with you.

Judging by your profile photo you're in Brazil. Maybe an EGO rep here can let you know who carries EGO products in that country.
Photo of Big D Bill

Big D Bill

• 366 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Yes, there are restrictions for taking Lio batteries on sirliners. It varies slightly but you will Ned to check with the airline on how to ship it.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Usually lithium batteries need to be in your carry-on luggage as they are not permitted in checked baggage.

I agree with Ken, if in the U.S. you may be better off buying it here. Also, if he ever required service there would be no question as to the mower's origin, and the warranty is not transferable it only applies to the original purchaser.
Photo of Cassiano Reis

Cassiano Reis

Thank you all for the responses. Actually we live in Brazil but I'm in US right now. We don't have these kind of Lawn Mower back there so that is why I'm planning to bring it with me. I've already checked with the airline and TSA agent which informed me that I could bring. I also know the size limits and exact extra charges depending on the size of the box. I will go through customs there declaring as an imported product so if there is any problem I can also bring back here to get the warranty. I've seeing somewhere that the EGO could not be shipped by air or overseas because of its battery, that is why I'm trying to clarify, maybe even with someone from EGO Tech team. Thank you for trying to help though.
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,072 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Yeah, those batteries can cause real problems on planes.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Cassiano, ask someone about whether you can bring the battery in your carry on luggage.

Also, the mower box had markings on it that state it's not suitable for air transport because if the battery. These markings may need to be covered up or some special approval. Someone from an airline or the Safety Board may be able to help you with this.
Photo of Cassiano Reis

Cassiano Reis

Probably are those markings that I've seeing somewhere which lead me to think I couldn't bring this product with me.Thanks for clarifying.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

You may be able to take it if you have a permit or something, I would look into it. Here is an information page that may get you the information you need:

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dg...
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Most lithium ion tools have labels like this on them:
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I know for a fact you CAN take li-ion batteries in carry on baggage, but there may be limitations on the size of capacity of the battery. The IATA should be able to answer those questions for you.