20" Blade for LM2021 - Poor quality

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • In Progress
I have the 20" steel deck mower (non-SP). Overall I'm (marginally) happy with it however, the quality of the blade is poor (as others have also reported). After 1 year of use, it's dull and has tons of nicks and chunks missing all from running over some small sticks and gumballs.

I'm basically writing this to say...Ego!!! Put out a decent blade for goodness sake! When you are paying $700 for a lawn mower, having 1 option which is a crappy, weak blade is inexcusable.

Anyway, I tried to replace the original blade and ordered  one from Home Depot - model
Model # AB2000. I'm not 100% sure this is even the correct part due to poor documentation, but my order was cancelled and they no longer have it in stock. I will order from Amazon and hope it's the correct part.
Photo of Stacey

Stacey

• 420 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,600 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The standard 20-inch Ego blade is currently out of stock at Homedepot.com but you can get it from Amazon.com here: EGO 20-Inch Lawn Mower Blade for EGO 20" Lawn Mower Models LM2001/LM2000 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NOIGLA8/...

Yes, the Ego blade is softer steel, but if there are chunks missing you're hitting more than twigs and gumballs. I'm still on my original 20-inch blade after four years with no more that a couple of tiny nicks.

Any brand of mower blade needs to be sharpened more than once a year. I typically sharpen mine at the beginning of the season, then again in July and once more around Labor Day. If you are mowing a tougher Southern grass type you might have to sharpen it a little more often.

And that's easier to do on an Ego mower because you can set the mower on end and easily remove the blade since you don't have to worry about spilling gas.

In my opinion, whatever shortcomings Ego's mowers have are more than made up for by not having to deal with a gas mower.