20" Blade for LM2021 - Poor quality

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • In Progress
I have the 20" steel deck mower (non-SP). Overall I'm (marginally) happy with it however, the quality of the blade is poor (as others have also reported). After 1 year of use, it's dull and has tons of nicks and chunks missing all from running over some small sticks and gumballs.

I'm basically writing this to say...Ego!!! Put out a decent blade for goodness sake! When you are paying $700 for a lawn mower, having 1 option which is a crappy, weak blade is inexcusable.

Anyway, I tried to replace the original blade and ordered  one from Home Depot - model
Model # AB2000. I'm not 100% sure this is even the correct part due to poor documentation, but my order was cancelled and they no longer have it in stock. I will order from Amazon and hope it's the correct part.
Photo of Stacey

Stacey

• 420 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Retired Soldier

Retired Soldier

• 702 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Good luck with that. EGO talks a good story and the TV ads are slick but the customer service is non-existent, the quality of some accessories is suspect (e.g., mulch blade), the longevity is questionable (e.g. batteries), warranty is a joke, repair through Home Depot is like a trip through Dante's seven levels of hell, and the price is astronomical. There are other brands available that are just as good or better with reliable customer service and a long-term track record. Can't even get EGO to answer the phone. All flash, no bang.
(Edited)
Photo of Stacey

Stacey

Well, I will say, I like the blower and trimmer. I just got the edger, so we'll see on that.

I did have battery that went bad and they did replace it promptly. I also called CS today about the blade and asked for a call back...and they DID call back within a few hours, but I missed the call.

I think I would like the mower much more if it had a decent blade! Hopefully in a few years I won't regret investing in this system!
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 4,236 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Stacey - I'm guessing there is a good reason EGO uses such soft "butter blades". I think it helps dampen the impact to the electric motor if the blade impacted a rock, branch, sprinkler head, gumball(?) or whatever. But I do think it's reasonable for you to sharpen it way more than once a year!!!
Photo of Stacey

Stacey

I'm not sure I'm buying that...and if that IS the case, then I'm not sure these products are ready for prime time.

I agree about sharpening, but sharpening it won't do anything about all the chunks missing from the blade!

Gumballs are the annoying seed pods from Sweet Gum trees of which my neighbor unfortunately has several.
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 4,236 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
I'm still using a very reliable 30 year old gas mower, so you know where I stand on the EGO mowers. My yard is 20,000 sq ft with some mature conifers that drop stuff all the time. I'm sure it works fine for a lot of folks, just not me.

I will say I really do like the other EGO tools that I do have.
(Edited)
Photo of Stacey

Stacey

The only other mower I've ever used is my Dad's old commercial grade non-SP Honda...probably about 30 years old. That thing is a beast and can be a workout on thick St. Augustine. He would not trade it for anything!

I'm a first time home-owner - 7500SF and totally flat yard - so in buying my first set of lawn care equipment...I was hoping to avoid having to deal with gas products. I knew there would be a trade-off of performance for the convenience of electric!

Overall I'm happy with ego accept for the mower blade.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,532 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I love the mower (with HL Blade) but you're right - the steel is too soft.
Photo of Stacey

Stacey

I was going to purchase that one, but couldn't find it. Is that the one that you have to buy from the UK?
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 4,176 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
I thought HD sells them for about $20, right?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The standard 20-inch Ego blade is currently out of stock at Homedepot.com but you can get it from Amazon.com here: EGO 20-Inch Lawn Mower Blade for EGO 20" Lawn Mower Models LM2001/LM2000 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NOIGLA8/...

Yes, the Ego blade is softer steel, but if there are chunks missing you're hitting more than twigs and gumballs. I'm still on my original 20-inch blade after four years with no more that a couple of tiny nicks.

Any brand of mower blade needs to be sharpened more than once a year. I typically sharpen mine at the beginning of the season, then again in July and once more around Labor Day. If you are mowing a tougher Southern grass type you might have to sharpen it a little more often.

And that's easier to do on an Ego mower because you can set the mower on end and easily remove the blade since you don't have to worry about spilling gas.

In my opinion, whatever shortcomings Ego's mowers have are more than made up for by not having to deal with a gas mower.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 4,330 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Heck yea, I second that, I don’t have to leave my house because I’m out of gas, don’t have to worry about storing a potential hazardous material, and like you said, don’t have to worry about spilling anything.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

The gumball talk is bringing back some nightmares. We had a big sweet gum tree in our front yard when I was growing up. This was back in the 1970s, long before there were battery-powered lawn mowers.

I had to rake up the gumballs as best I could so my dad didn't run over them with the lawn mower, because it was bad for the mower blade even back then. Of course I could never get them all, which meant I also stepped on them in my bare feet when I was playing.

I loved the tree because it was easy to climb and offered plenty of great shade in the summer. But I was *not* a fan of those gumballs.
Photo of Stacey

Stacey

Yes, the gumballs are terrible! I do rake them up after most of them fall and before doing any mowing for the season, but ultimately there are a few stragglers left behind or ones that drop late. I cut down two gum trees I had when moving in, but still get a lot from the neighbors trees.

I agree with all the sentiments that Ego is better than gas in a lot of ways, but I think for the premium price ($649+tax in my case) the blade should be better quality...AND...they need to have stock available for replacements without paying international shipping costs!

Home Depot is out of both. I would prefer to try the high lift and can't seem to find that anywhere in the US.
(Edited)
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,532 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
(Edited)
Photo of Stacey

Stacey

That's for the 21" mower. I have the steel deck 20" mower, so unfortunately, that won't work.

Ego CS did call back today and said they don't appear to have any 20" high lift blades in stock, but they would have someone from the warehouse call me back to confirm.

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

See my link above. The 20-inch high lift blade is in stock at Amazon.
Photo of Stacey

Stacey

I think that's the stock blade AB2000. It looks different than the high lift blade (AB2001):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-20-in-Lawn-Mower-High-Lift-Blade-AB2001/308681766

Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 4,330 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
That looks like the high lift blade to me, the stock blade is smaller more of a triangle looking end I’m pretty sure.
Photo of Stacey

Stacey

The Home Depot link, I posted *is* the high-lift, but it's not in stock anywhere (except maybe UK).

The link posted by Ken above (amazon) is not high-lift.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,986 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
There is some online at amazon but at $55 (correct picture but not description)  I am not posting the link.

Otherwise seems to be out of stock.  Usually comes back in stock at HD and RCPW in a week or two
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,964 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The difficulty is the blades can't be hardened as much as thicker blades because they are thin and prone to fracture when hardening. 
My original blade is fairly nicked up, but I sharpen it twice a season and it cuts well. It almost acts like a serrated knife at this point because I file the "flat" side of the blade to remove any burrs and then use the sharpener to sharpen and set the angle. So, I even have sharp nicks. LOL
Photo of William

William

• 536 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I remember years ago that (for St. Augustine grass) a lawnmower blade should be sharpened every week.  That's pretty easy if you store the mower in its small footprint upright mode.  I take a file and five minutes about every other mowing.  Remember a file cuts on the forward stroke, so don't drag it back and forth.  Also Stacey, I think you'll like the edger.  It does the best job of any edger I've ever had, and faster too.  Be sure you buy the combo with battery and charger if you can.

Oh, and Consumer Reports found the EGO to be the best battery mower.