2 stage snowblower

• Idea
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • Under Consideration
So I see EGO has a couple different options for trimmers, blowers, and mowers. What about adding a big brother to the snow blower and making a compact 2 stage with maybe the capacity to hold 2-4 batteries?

I've seen people on EGO facebook asking for one and I know I'd be in line for one!
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 5,200 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of bander69

bander69

• 320 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I'm sure in due time EGO will come out with a dual stage.  I'm also sure they take a good look at the other manufacturers products when coming up with their design to meet and exceed the performance.  With that said EGO has probably already taken a close look at this product;

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Snow-Joe-iON-24-in-Cordless-Electric-Self-Propelled-Dual-Stage-Snow-Blowe...

If it wasn't for already having everything EGO before buying my EGO snow blower I would have gone this route.
Photo of Erik

Erik

I looked at that and just checking it out seemed like junk. The build quality, design, 40v batteries. Handles seemed flimsy, only 13'' deck height on a 2 stage alone gave it a thumbs down, I went with the EGO single stage.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 37,026 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I have a corded single-stage Snow Joe and it's not great. Just as Erik described --- the build quality is really lacking compared with anything Ego makes.

I bought it last year as a placeholder until Ego's snow blower came out. Unfortunately, some unexpected roof work sapped my budget this winter so I haven't been able to make the switch.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 126,134 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Wow, I did exactly the same thing for pretty much exactly the same reason! Agreed 100%, the SnoJoe build quality is a joke... flimsy is too good a word to describe it.
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 5,170 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I seen the greenworks also looked like a piece pf crap. Then I seen the EGO and monster batteries and that this was just released. The main thing that caught my eye was the metal housing and only one folding point to make the handle more rigid.

I actualy bought it to hoping they'd do another 2 stage version in the future.
Photo of dzzmiller

dzzmiller

• 252 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Corded snowblowers probably max out at 1200w (15 amp circuit). I guesstimate EGO at 2000w. Also, a DC motor may maintain torque better at lower RPMs than an inexpensive AC motor.

EGO makes up for lower max power compared to gas with better low RPM power under heavy load. 
Photo of bander69

bander69

• 320 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Plus the warranty is just 2 years vs 5 years with EGO.  Usually you can gauge the quality of the product by the warranty.  Companies don't give warranties where they think it will fail before so, all assuming no known issues.
Photo of horvath.com

horvath.com

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Having had a giant two stage that was overkill for me, I think the torque electric gives may make two stages unnecessary. This thing does add good a job, actually better since it cleans down to the pavement.
Photo of dzzmiller

dzzmiller

I agree. Most people don't understand that two stage snowblower don't scape the pavement. The snowblowing often needs to be followed by salt. Commercially, salting  is always going to be done to avoid liability. But more salting is certainly less desirable for homeowners.

Also, unless a really big 2 stage is purchased, a large storm still requires snowblowing two or more times. A mid to small two stage can still be overwhelmed by a big storm.

My big complaint with the ego snowblower is too low handle height for a tall person. There is clear evidence that the unit was designed by Elves.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 126,258 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I think there may be a place for a two stage in Ego's lineup, but I vote to keep it compact at no more than 22-24". I really think the average joe with a decent size driveway would still be served well by a machine that size.

Power and throw should come before clearing width. A wide machine that bogs down is useless compared to a narrower one that powers through.

I also feel the advantage of the two stage design is going to be solely at the plow pile at the end of the driveway. And the machine should be as light and easy to push as possible! If it's self propelled I only want to have to use it in the plow pile, not be constantly waiting on it while blowing 5" of light snow off the whole driveway.

Oh, and it needs to store upright like the mower. That would be the icing on the cake! :-)
Photo of dzzmiller

dzzmiller

I'm somewhat shocked at how well the EGO handles the snow at the end of the drive. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 126,258 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Me too, as long as there’s no ice in it. The rubber paddles won’t break it up, but I’ve only had one occasion all year where there were chunks of actual ice in the pile and it’s not hard to just remove them by hand.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 79,326 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Erik, no plans for a 2 stage snow blower yet but we're always working on improvements and new tools for the future. Thanks for the feedback!
Photo of Brian Spence

Brian Spence

• 60 Points
I'd be happy if they'd make the single stage self propelled. Just bought the self propelled mower, very impressed so far.
Photo of Bill

Bill

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Also very impressed with my recently purchased self propelled mower.  
I am hesitant about the snow blower, though it looks great for 6"-8" of snow, because we get heavy plow piles in front of my house.  
My 2 Stage Ariens 6.5 HP has trouble with the ice piles - I'm not sure any electric snow blower could really handle them though...
In any case, I'll likely hold out with the gas powered snow blower until a 2 stage comes out - with (2) 7.5Ah batteries and some real ice choppers on the blades.  
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 52,670 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Electric has far greater capabilities than gas. Look at the Tesla cars. They blow away gas engines all day long. Gas is just terribly innefficient.

For example. I built a mower I power with ego batteries. It's 51" wide. It has a combined horse power of roughly 4 hp. No 4 hp RATED gas motor could power it. I get it, hp is hp. But something else is missing from these ratings.
Photo of Bill

Bill

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
No argument there, electric has torque, which is the important number. But I just don't think this is a product that could handle a 60'x14' drive when the snow is heavy and deep. My decent 2 stage has trouble because I end up having to move snow that was thrown previously (boxed in by fence, house, and set back garage).
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 125,966 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Because torque:

Motors can make flat torque curves from a standstill, limited only by cooling and the fortitude of the electronic controllers.

Engines make fantastic power, but they need to get into the right part of their torque curves to do it. Below that they just bog down.

Agreed that the steel auger of a 2-stage blower is better for chewing through the big chunks at the end of the driveway. However, as long as you get to it before it has a chance to settle into a solid mass the single stage paddles do an admirable job.

I have an ubercrappy single stage electric Snojoe and I sometimes need to chew down through the pile in layers, but it gets through with some patience. Far from perfect, but better than shoveling! :-)
Photo of atcspaul

atcspaul

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Living in Michigan I also hope EGO comes out with a 2 stage. I would immediately purchase
(Edited)
Photo of CL

CL

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Snow Blower.

I wonder if EGO will produce and sell 2-stage snow blower soon.  Any thoughts?
Photo of ed

ed

• 184 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled 2 stage snowblower.

if Sniw Joe can make a 2 stage snowblower Ego should have one too. I’m a senior & I want to stay in my home & be independent as long as I can. I am getting tired of changing oil & spark plugs, not to mention tugging my heart out to start my snowblower, but I do want self propelled, with steering capability. Heated handles would be a nice plus. I already have several Ego products, including a self propelled lawnmower. I’ve already got several batteries & really don’t want to add a second system so I would be very happy to see an Ego self propelled snowblower in the near future. The snowblower you have looks great but I just don’t see myself pushing it through heavy snow. There must be millions of people out there in the same position as I am.
Photo of Dale Howey

Dale Howey

• 60 Points
I love the ego snow blower but would be all in on a 2 stage monster blower. Doing parking lots with a single stage will put me back in surgery. Considering a snow joe but they look like crap. EGO Do This! 
Photo of Jonathan Townsend

Jonathan Townsend

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I live in Michigan and would also purchase an Ego 2 stage blower.
Photo of Thomas Lawson

Thomas Lawson

• 62 Points
My plan is to buy a new blower before the beginning of next season. I have a steep driveway so I have to have self propelled. I don’t understand why ego would baulk at this idea. I hope they release one next year or I will be buying another gas model.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 52,670 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I know right. My plans are to make my own as it is fun :) but it would be nice to have a larger option. But maybe instead they will release another blower, trimmer, and mower probably. The rate at tool release is disappointing to me personally.
Photo of Erik

Erik

If snojoe can make a flimsy 2 stage surely ego can make the first real durable 56v 2 stage.
Photo of Erik

Erik

I'm also tired of being stopped dead in my tracks pushing my single stage ego and getting hung up on every slight crack.
Photo of ed

ed

Now that Snow Joe has one Toro, Poulenc, Kobalt & every other manufacturer of battery powered yard equipment is going to be racing to get their version on the market. We all know EGO will have to introduce one to stay relevant, so EGO, how about tossing us a bone & give us a reason to stay loyal to your brand & wait patiently while you do your R&D. When could we reasonably expect to see an EGO 2 stage, self propelled snowblower?
(Edited)
Photo of mike

mike

• 976 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Did anyone here know that Ariens use to make a “Ariens amp snow blower”? It had a 48 volt 30 amp-hour battery. Lasting up to an hour. I’m curious why they would have stopped making it. The videos I found seem to show it works pretty well. I’m sure it wasn’t a build quality issue but I could see the price causing some hesitation. I think it was around $1500. Maybe it was just a bit to early for its time. Oh and it took 7-8 hours to charge
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Surely a lead acid battery that was too heavy to keep in the house. Lead acid batteries lose a lot of power and capacity when they’re cold.
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 5,138 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
We got a real snow in Minnesota today. Snow was as high as the mouth on the snow blower. I don't know how many times I had to back it up and ram it into the snow.

I then seen the neighbor with his 2 stage eating through snow no problem. We need a bigger 2 stage! It's better then shoveling but the repeated arming to clear snow I'm only 34, but I bet I'll feel it tomorrow.
Photo of ed

ed

I’ve got 30 years on you & I couldn’t agree more. My 2 stage gas blower just got an overhaul & im hoping it lasts until EGO finally introduces a 2 stage. I have no interest in a single stage.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 28,876 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
As is often said.  Need the right tool for the job.  Single stage is a great tool for certain jobs.  Not cut out for others.  Hopefully Ego can expand their snow blower line soon.
Photo of MattW

MattW

• 1,082 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I am hoping for a Power Head attachment similar to the Toro Power Shovel.... Would make awkward spaces a lot easier to manage and make the Power Head useful year round. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 28,876 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Expand the snow product line in both directions. One bigger and one smaller offering than the current snow blower.  I like it !
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Matt, that’s a WIN right there!