2 amp batteries flashing red when used for power in power station 3000

• Problem
  • Updated 5 days ago
My 2 amp batteries used with my leaf blower charge and work fine using either a standard or fast charger. They also seem to charge fine using my power station 3000, but when used for power with the power station they flash red. Are they incompatible with the power station? Going bad? Seems odd that they work fine and also charge fin with my standard and fast chargers. Any thoughts/suggestion?
Photo of George Riemer

George Riemer

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of William

William

• 250 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi, if you could give a little more information maybe it would help to get a more accurate answer.
How does the battery perform in the leaf blower?
What load do you have connected to the power station?
In addition 2 amp batteries are really quite low power for the power station.
Photo of George Riemer

George Riemer

Thanks for the response. The batteries work fine on my two leaf blowers. No load on the batteries when attached to the power station. I just put them on and they start blinking red. Note that I have two new 7.5 amp batteries with the power station. I just thought I could use the two 2 amp batteries for a little added juice. I am wondering if the power station thinks these are two 2.5 amp batteries and the circuity is generating a mismatch error. I think 2 amp batteries have been discontinued.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 69,666 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I think the power station's minimum output wattage is 600W so maybe the 2 ah batteries won't allow the station to develop 600W. Do you have any other batteries that you can combine with the 2ah batteries to see if they will work on the power station? For example a 5ah and a 2ah.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

George, you are right. 2 ah batteries have been discontinued so the power station probably doesn't recognize them since it was developed well after 2 ah batteries were discontinued.
Photo of George Riemer

George Riemer

That is unfortunate as I read that all Ego batteries work with the power station.

Just to close this out, I have two 7.5 amp batteries plus two 2 amp batteries to fill out the four slots. I am not trying to run the power station with two 2 amp batteries. The 7.5 amp batteries glow green when the power station is turned on. The two 2 amp batteries intermittently flash red. I have checked that all four are properly seated. The 2 amp batteries appear to add time to the power station, but the intermittent flashing red lights is very annoying. Looks like there is no work around.

Thanks for everyone's prompt help on this.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,908 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I would give Ego customer service a call to confirm. 
From what I have always heard - All ego batteries work with all Ego tools.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

In reading the power station manual it mentions flashing red light as an overload condition. I think the flashing red is on the battery indicator on the power station, don't know if the batteries also flash red.
Photo of William

William

• 250 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I agree with Mike, the power station probably does not recognize them.
Photo of George Riemer

George Riemer

Turns out there is an answer in the Power Station manual, page 29. During discharging, previous generation batteries will flash in red, green, or orange while the new generation batteries (with 5-segment fuel gauge) will show solid green. This is normal and does not impact the functionality and performance of the Nexus power station. Different generations of EGO batteries will have different displays.

I guess I will just have to put up with the flashing red on my two 2 amp batteries or maybe tape over the flashing red while using the Power Station with those batteries in discharge mode.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 69,324 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Ah, I missed that section. Good to find out. I do admit to thinking the batteries weren't even working on the power station since they were blinking red.
Photo of TK

TK

• 528 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
That is such a stupid design flaw, and yes, it is just a blinking light. Why Ego could not just put a blinking green light on the Nexus old batteries is just dumb.  How people in development miss this stuff is beyond me. Showed some friends the Nexus just last night and they almost said in unison, "It looks like you have a bad battery there."  I had to explain why this forward-thinking company can't figure out LED lights.  Sigh...