180 degree chute rotates 20 degrees

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • In Progress
From my email to customer service:
To whom it may concern,

I purchased the blower with the two 5 amp batteries and loved it on day one with about 5 inches of light snow. We got another 3 inches the next day and the chute will no longer rotate to the right. I've tried warming the whole unit and gently tried to manually free it up, but it feels as though something is out of alignment or stripped. Assistance on solving this issue on my very new and pretty expensive snow blower would be great. Thanks!

Any thoughts from this broader community. Thanks!
D
Photo of db

db

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • a bit frustrated and annoyed

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,780 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
So. Since you warmed it up we can rule out that ice had frozen the cables or chute.

First thing we need to do is see if it is locked up at the control handle or at the chute. This can simply be figured out by doing the following

When you pivot the control lever slightly, is it bouncy or springy, or do the cables move when you do this (one seems to get slightly shorter, one gets slightly longer, you will know if you see it) If so it's the chute. If it's not at all bouncy like it feels like it's stuck hard then it's the control handle.

To fix the control handle something got in there. So first wiggle it gently but rapidly with 2 fingers. If it seems to free up keep going. If not you can take it apart and see what's binding it up. Be careful as I have not done this yet myself. I don't know if springs are in there or what so slowly take that apart.

To fix the chute do the following.

Take the chute off by removing the 2 socket head cap screws.

Then there are a few Phillips screws holding the top ring on. Take those off

Then you will see if there is anything stuck in there. I assume there is a stick locking it up

The way it works is by 2 cables pushing and pulling a gear. That gear engages the rotation unit.

Send picture of what you find. If nothing the next step involves removing the battery bay..

There are 5 torx bits screws holding a piece of plastic on top of the battery bay. 4 are deep and 1 Is toward the front of the unit. Once those are removed, slide that piece of plastic out. The 2 battery connectors will fall into the blower. Do not touch any of the electronics in there as the wires mat break if it's really cold.

Next remove the 4 screws on top of the battery bay. Then there are 3 screws in the bottom of each battery bay

Now you will see the mechanism that controls the chute pivot. Right by the opening and the chute. It's a white gear.

Pivot the handle, see if that white gear moves at all. If so get a mirror and see what's in there or take a picture and post it.

Good luck.

Be careful around the electronics. Don't so anything inside of there. Don't clean out snow. Leave everything alone.

Here is the pivot gear
(Edited)