16" chainsaw vs 14"

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Duplicate

Is the internal motor bigger with the new 16" saw? If not can I just buy the 16" bar and chain for my current 14"?
Photo of Jonathan Van Ryzin

Jonathan Van Ryzin

• 214 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,468 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Jonathan, Ego says their new 16"'chainsaw is more powerful than the 14" saw, and also that the 16" blade and chain are not compatible with the 14" model.

Also note that the new saw comes bundled with the new 5.0Ah battery for $299 at HD:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/EGO-16-in-56...

A pretty good deal if you're in the market for a new battery.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,948 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Jonathan, no, the 16" chainsaw bar will not fit or work on the 14" chainsaw. The motor from the 14" chainsaw cannot handle the 16" bar. 
Photo of David Hansen

David Hansen

• 176 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hmm. Customer service team answering question on Home Depot's site says that they are interchangeable

Wow, thanks David.  My response was incorrect in January.  Thanks for finding this error.  I have corrected myself.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Darnit!!! I thought you set me up with the perfect opportunity to use this meme, but I had remembered it wrong!

Ugh, I'm gonna drop it anyway. Because Austin.

Official Response
The bars are interchangeable between the 14" and 16" chain saw.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,604 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I'm confused.  8 months ago you wrote that the 14" CS can't handle the 16" bar.

Yes, I was wrong.  I wasn't given the correct information.  My answer from today is the correct answer.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,604 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Interesting!   I'll try to remember that if I ever need to go another 2 inches.   thanks.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

• 9,390 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Heh.. heheh.. 

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,448 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
King Ron... one of my most quotable heroes! :-)
Photo of Alice Simpson

Alice Simpson

• 828 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Can a 14" bar be used on a 16" chainsaw?  The Home Depot web site says the chain speed and torque are higher for the 16" than the 14" saw.  Is this a function of the battery or the motor?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Alice, if you look up a few comments you'll see Jennifer state that they are interchangeable. ;-)
Photo of Alice Simpson

Alice Simpson

• 828 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thanks, Blue Angel.  Just checking.  I saw Jennifer's comment.  The reason I ask is that most of the time I just use a chain saw on small branches, and 14" is long enough.  But occasionally I need a longer bar.  So I was thinking of buying the 16" saw w/ 5.0 Ah battery and also the string trimmer w/ 5.0Ah battery so that I'd have 2 of the larger batteries, and get a 14" bar also.  It's a moot point, though, because I forgot that the 16" saw w/ 5.0Ah battery is Out of Stock online, and there's no telling when it will be available again.  The 16" saw w/o battery or charger is available, but it would make more sense to buy the 14" saw w/ the 2.5Ah battery and put a 16" bar on it if extra length was needed because buying the saw and batteries/charger separately is much more expensive than buying the "kit."  So unless I want to wait indefinitely for the 16" saw kit to become available again, I guess I'll have to settle for the 14" w/ 2.5Ah battery.  It would be lighter in weight so maybe I'd prefer that anyway for small jobs.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Having at least one of the small batteries is a good idea for smaller jobs with the handheld tools, in my opinion.
Photo of Leonard

Leonard

• 60 Points
Follow-up question -- what is the difference between the power units of the 14 and 16 inch chainsaws (CS1401 and CS1604).   The only difference listed in the specifications are the bar size and RPM (6300RPM vs 6800RPM).  Are the power units different or is the difference in RPM due to the difference in bundled battery (2.0AH vs 5.0AH).   I don't have a need for more than a 14" bar and have other larger packs already so the 14" unit without batter would be my preferred purchase IF I'm not sacrificing power in case I ever need the larger bar.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,878 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Leonard, rather than me trying to "repeat" what was written about the 14" vs 16" CS, I will include the paragraph below for you to review (from Workshop Addict).  But you are correct, the new "upgrade" for the 14" & 16" CS will automatically detect different battery sizes, and provide appropriate power to the CS.

Something else that happened when the new 16′′ chainsaw was released was an update to the 14′′ chainsaw that has been out for over a year.  Both new chainsaws are actually the same, other than the size of the bar and chain included with each unit.  Now, what separates these units are the batteries that come with the kit.  The batteries will make a difference in the power that is produced by these chainsaws.  The software inside can detect the battery and determine if it is the smaller 2.0Ah 1P battery, the mid-range 5.0Ah 2P battery, or the larger 7.5Ah 3P battery.  The software will allow the motor to draw more current from the larger batteries making it have more power.  The excellent part about this set up is one can buy the 14′′ chainsaw and use a larger battery from another EGO product to get the same power that the 16′′ chainsaw has.  If this is confusing, just know that the larger battery you put in the chainsaw means the more power the chainsaw will deliver, not matter its size.

Here is the link to the "full" article on Workshop Addict!

http://www.workshopaddict.com/tools/ego-power-16-chain-saw-14-comparison/
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,582 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I really wish EGO would publish clear and concise product specifications on their website.  I thought Work Shop Addict (or other reviewer) had said that the 16" model has a higher wattage motor than the 14", but I can't find that documented anywhere.  They did say the new one is a 1200 Watt motor (but they   To me, if the 16" spins at 6800 rpm, and the 14" at 6300 rpm; one would think the 16" has a slightly higher output motor.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I believe the 16" was upgraded over the original 14", but then they just made the one upgraded chainsaw unit after that and shipped it with two different chain sizes.

According to WA, the newer upgraded 14" model has the ribbed handle vs. the smooth handle of the original.

(a)Typical Engineer

For the same wattage motors, I would think the 16" bar/chain combo has more drag than the 14"; and therefore would expect the 14" to have the higher RPM, not the other way round.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Good point. Where are you seeing the RPM specs? I didn't see them listed in the manual.

(a)Typical Engineer

It's right on the product page, first listing under specifications; 6300 for 14" vs. 6800 for the 16".

Jennifer, can you confirm the wattage for the CS1400 and CS1600?

(a)Typical Engineer

SUMMARY: 16" motor has 27% more torque than the 14"

Alright, I'm going to answer my own question: the 16" motor is stronger than the 14" one.  Per the Home Depot specification page, the 16" Torque Maximum (Nm) is 2.8, and the 14" is 2.2.  So the 16" has 27% more torque.

Also, here are some gas powered saw equivalents:

2.40 ~ BlueMax: 20 in. 52cc Gas
1.65 ~ BlueMax 38cc Heavy Duty Gas
1.60 ~ Makita 14 in. 32cc Gas
1.57 ~ Ryobi 14 in. 37cc 2-Cycle Gas
1.55 ~ Poulan Pro, 20 in. 50cc Gas

1.72 ~ Echo 16 in. 58-Volt Lithium-Ion

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

nice find!
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

• 9,390 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
@(a)Typical Engineer - yes, nice find indeed!  So the 16" Ego has more torque than any of the gas options listed?  HOLY.  CRAP.  
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

• 5,476 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
From what I remember from countless hours of watching videos, there technically were two different models of chainsaw.  Now I don't know if the first one was phased out or not.  If you look at the handle of the chainsaw, if it's smooth then it has the older style motor.  if it has a ribbing to it, then it has the larger motor.  

I think from what I remember is that the 14" without the battery was the older style and all the others are the newer style.  Now this was from last year and they might have phased out all the old stock motors by now and as a result you are just getting the newer one.   That info I am not pervy to.

But they are one heck of a great chainsaw and I really do love mine.  

Since the launch of the 14" chain saw, we have made some modifications. The 14" chainsaw available now has the same motor as the 16" chain saw. The only difference between the two now is the bar length.

(a)Typical Engineer

Why is there a speed difference between the 14" and 16"?
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

• 5,476 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I think they just put in a more efficient and better controlled motor that could take advantage of a larger battery connected. 

(a)Typical Engineer

I just checked the Ego website, and they list two difference speeds; so HD definitely got their information from Ego's website:

CS1401, Speed: 6300 RPM

https://egopowerplus.com/collections/power-chain-saws/products/14-inch-chainsaw

CS1604, Speed: 6800 RPM

https://egopowerplus.com/collections/power-chain-saws/products/16-inch-chainsaw

(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 100,994 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Are they measuring speed by the chain rotations, thus a 16" chain makes less rotations than a 14" with the motor running at the same speed ?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,760 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Jennifer stated in another post that they are the same. They needed to have it updated on homedepot.com website. If I remember correctly
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,760 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Or she posted it right up above. Look up.. keep looking. There it is.

(a)Typical Engineer

Both the HomeDepot and Ego websites state the same RPM.
Photo of Ben Meeks

Ben Meeks

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hoping someone can help me identify which generation CS1400 I picked up from Home Depot today. It has a ribbed handle, which suggests that it has the second generation motor, but I read on Workshop Addict that the second generation's bar says 14" on it, whereas mine does not. Is there any way to confirm that my chain saw has the upgraded motor?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ben, if you post the date of manufacture (printed on the back of the tool) maybe Jennifer or Amber could look into which generation your saw is? I'm not sure if they can or not, just throwing it out there.
Photo of Ben Meeks

Ben Meeks

Thanks for the suggestion! The date of manufacture printed on the tool is December 2015.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,070 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Ben, based on the handle, you absolutely have the newest version of the chainsaw. The bar markings are not a reliable indicator.
Photo of Ben Meeks

Ben Meeks

That's great. Thanks for your help!
Photo of Brian Prince

Brian Prince

• 414 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Differences between models.

I have several other ego products and love them. As I have three batteries, I do not need another for the chainsaw. I have two concerns. 1. Is the 14" the same as the 16" except the bar and chain? I might need to upgrade to a 16" bar at some point but right now I like the lighter weight. 2. When I look at images of the 14" with and without the battery, I see differences. The model without the battery does not have 14" on the bar and the handle grip is different. I read one article that said that this means that this is the older model of the chainsaw.  I want the latest version the the chainsaw but am concerned that the 14" without the battery is an older model.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.