15" trimmer bare tool availability and price at Home Depot US

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: out of date

The 15" trimmer bare tool is advertised on the US Home Depot site. It has been out of stock since I've been watching it in late July. The price jumped from the "new low price" of $130 to $180 on August 5.

I'd really love to pick up the bare tool since I just purchased the mower and love it.

Any chance the price and availability will return?
Photo of Greg

Greg

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi Greg, sorry for the delay in our response.  Yes, the 15" string trimmer bare tool will be available on HomeDepot.com in the next few weeks.  Demand was a little higher than anticipated but we are restocking right now.  We thank you for your patience and understanding.  We anticipate 3-4 weeks until they are available again.
(Edited)
Photo of Omar Benavides

Omar Benavides

• 70 Points
Any update on when the 15" string trimmer bare tool will be available again? 
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
At the current pricing I'm not sure why anyone would buy the bare tool over the kit.

I don't need another battery at the moment, and I barely use the slow charger that I have, but if they're no extra charge I'll certainly take them! I got my 15" trimmer with the $50 price break, but $40 off the kit is probably the better deal.
Photo of Omar Benavides

Omar Benavides

• 70 Points
I didn't realize the bare tool was previously discounted and just assumed it would be listed at $129 when it was back in stock. I use about 50-60% of the 4Ah battery mowing my entire yard, so I was hoping to avoid purchasing another battery/charger set. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,768 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Omar, I completely understand your point of view. I have a small yard and was thinking exactly the same thing you are: the 4Ah is enough to do everything.

I have since changed my point of view. Having the extra battery opens up a lot of flexibility, especially if you're ever considering getting other Ego tools. The lighter 2Ah battery doesn't offer TOO much in the way of ergonomic improvement on the string trimmers since they're two-handed tools, but on the blower the 2Ah sure is nice.

The hedge trimmer is a two-hand tool, but trust me, if you're holding it out at arm's length or overhead for any length of time the 2Ah is the only way to go.

Another thing to consider is redundancy in case of a battery or charger failure. Nobody plans to have something go wrong with their equipment, but if you ever did have a problem you could still use your tools with the remaining good battery/charger.

I realize everyone's situation is different, but if I was in your shoes I think I would look at it as getting an extra battery and charger for only $50 ($179 vs $129), a screaming deal when you consider all the angles.

The 15" trimmer is a joy to use, and the kit is a great deal at that price.
Photo of Glen

Glen

• 2,136 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I currently have a mower and blower and 1 each, 5Ah, 2.5Ah, and 2Ah batteries with one quick and one standard charger. I currently use a competitors string trimmer and it works very well but at some point, I'd like to switch to an Ego trimmer BUT not if I have to buy a whole kit and certainly not if the bare tool costs as much as the kit.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Glen, I've been wondering about that myself... the 15" 2Ah kit is the same price as the bare tool, and the newer 2.5Ah kit is only $30 more.

Looks like Home Depot is a little behind in adjusting the price on the bare tool. The bare tool was on sale last year for $129 if I remember right, seems like that would be a good everyday price.

Maybe a call to HD HQ is in order? :-)
Photo of Glen

Glen

When I look on homedepot.com, I see the 2Ah kit for $179 and the 2.5Ah kit for $199, only $20 difference. The bare tool is $179...this makes no sense.
Photo of Glen

Glen

The 12" bare tool is $99, which makes sense.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Aargh! The 7 got me! You're right, $20, sorry about that!
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I am guessing the 2.0ah kits are going to get clearanced out at the beginning of the season.

I do wonder about the future of the 12" trimmer though... presumably there is some market for a lighter-duty trimmer, but will it be available in a kit with a 2.5ah battery, the original kit with the 2.0ah battery, as a bare tool only, or not at all?

I guess the same line of questioning applies to the chainsaw, blower, and 20" mower too. I am guessing most of the original versions are being discontinued and cleared out, but you could make a compelling argument for keeping most of them as entry-level models.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Not a bad idea, David! What better way to get people into the Ego brand!

Heh... that might be a logistical nightmare for Home Depot, though... :-)
Photo of Fred Tarnay

Fred Tarnay

• 956 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Note to EGO. Need the spools fixed and a wheel added for edging lawns. Will wait until then
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Fred, thank you for your suggestions.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.