15" String Trimmer On Sale - $129!

• Praise
  • Updated 4 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: out of date

Anyone holding out for the new 15" String Trimmer as a bare tool, now's the time!  It's on sale at Home Depot (USA) until May 8th.  On my calendar, that's tomorrow...act fast!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-15-in-56-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Brushless-String-Trimmer-Battery-a...

Too bad these aren't for sale in Canada yet!!!  You lucky 'mericans have it soo good with retail!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,374 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Wayne Beck

Wayne Beck

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Good price!
Photo of Wayne Beck

Wayne Beck

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I don't think we can even get the 15 inch trimmer here in canada
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,868 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Not yet Wayne but it is forthcoming to Canada.  We're just waiting a little bit on Home Depot Canada.  We're so sorry for the delay.
Photo of SteveM

SteveM

• 366 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I just ordered one, and it looks like the deal is good through August 8, not May 8.

Grab one, everybody. Can't wait 'til mine shows up.
Photo of SteveM

SteveM

• 366 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Sorry. It is indeed Aug 5.
Photo of DavidH

DavidH

• 1,814 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Jennifer thank you for the update on the 15" for Home Depot Canada. Do you have any idea when it will happen, this month, this summer, this year?
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,868 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi David, definitely this year and it should be this summer.  As soon as we see it on homedepot.ca we'll be sure to update you as well.
Photo of DavidH

DavidH

Thank You Jennifer, I would appreciate any updates you may have.
Photo of DavidH

DavidH

Jennifer, do you have any information or "use cases" for consumers who are trying to decide on the 12" vs 15" Trimmers. I am still confused about which to choose? Do you see both of these units staying in your product line or will the 12" eventually "disappear".
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,102 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

David,

There are some notable differences between the two.  I have a gut feeling the 12" isn't long for the world, or will remain as a budget alternative.  The 15" trimmer's variable speed alone makes it a completely worthy successor to the 12".  I had both for a while and never touched the 12" again after using the 15".  To me personally, it was like night and day.

Most Improved:

• Bump feed
  • Motor

• Variable speed

• No more unpredictable slow down and speed up of the motor

Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,052 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
One thing I learned from my time with the Ego trimmer...I can't stand bump feeding. I had not experienced it before.
Photo of DavidH

DavidH

Thanks SCDC I appreciate your feedback, and I agree with your gut feeling..
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Rob, I don't really like bump feeding, never have.  Having variable speed, I barely use any line.  I run very slow against brick/pavement and I don't burn through the cord anymore.  So, it's not so bad.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,892 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Great catch!

And it looks like this price is actually good today (5/7) through August 5th (8/5):

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

That's really a good deal.  I thoroughly love the variable speed. I don't even go through much cord anymore.  I like to go slow against the bricks and it does fantastic.  Who ever is in the market and has a battery, don't pass up this price (if it is in your budget).
Photo of SLG

SLG

• 588 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Very good deal!
Can I return my recently bought (less than 3 weeks) 15" trimmer with battery and but this one and a 4ah Battery?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,374 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You probably could, but I would want to try the trimmer with the larger battery before committing to it... it will add significant weight to the tool. You might be better off switching between the two 2Ah batteries you already have (I think).

I used my 15" trimmer for the first time yesterday. The 2Ah battery got me through approximately 25 min of steady trimming and edging, then went on to power my lawnmower for another 10 minutes or so. With run time like that, I'm not sure I'd want the extra weight of the 4Ah battery on the trimmer, especially if I already have more than one 2Ah battery.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,892 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The hedge trimmer is much more difficult to control with the 4ah battery. It's not just the weight, but how it changes the balance of the tool that makes it more difficult to use. I would expect a similar effect using a larger battery on the string trimmer.

If you find that the 2ah is just a little short of the run time you need, I would wait for the 2.5ah battery that should give 25% longer power for no additional weight.
Photo of Primetime

Primetime

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I want to get one of these because my variable speed trigger is broken on my Ryobi trimmer. I own the mower and and the leaf blower but the trimmer doesn't come with an edger. My Ryobi has a wheel built into it that I can pit on the pavement with a flick of a switch...automatic edger.

I really don't see the point of updating a trimmer that wasn't even a year old for 3 more inches and not at least allow different power attachments or at least a wheel to make it an effective edger also. Turning a trimmer on it's side to edge is awkward t best for me.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,234 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I think the point of the new trimmer was to offer a larger more powerful model. The 12" trimmer works great for most people, but for those who really needed a powerful replacement for a gas trimmer the 12" could, in some cases, come up a little short.

The 15" trimmer is everything it claims to be compared to the 12": Larger cut and more powerful.

I completely agree that an edging wheel would increase the appeal and usefulness of either trimmer. Maybe Ego could offer an accessory edging wheel?
Photo of David Cline

David Cline, Champion

• 36,852 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Turning a trimmer on its side to edge is an art that takes some getting used to, but it can definitely be done.  I have never seen a commercial service use an edger or edging accessory, but rather always just turn the string trimmer and edge a perfect line.

Seeing that this is how all the "pros" do it, I practiced on our back patios until I got the hang of it, and now will often do all of my edging with the string trimmer, skipping the time and effort of getting out a separate tool.  Don't think that the lack of a dedicated attachment keeps a string trimmer from being great at edging too!
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,052 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
No need for an actual attachment.  Only thing required would be that the trimmer be designed with an integrated wheel. 
Photo of Primetime

Primetime

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Maybe they could be put I don't think the edger can attached because as far as I know, the unit isn't a power head which can take on other roles. I want to stay with the Ego line because I have 2-4ah batteries and 1-2ah batteries. Buying the trimmer for $129 would make all the sense in the world except for the fact that I have a large sidewalk/driveway area that I have to make look good. I ran across the Echo 58volt trimmer at Home Depot yesterday while picking up an extra blade for my Ego mower. It sure did look "purdy". Power head attachment caple too.
Photo of RoboMO

RoboMO

• 478 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Did you see this Ego / Echo battery break down video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRdBS9oFUXc
Photo of RoboMO

RoboMO

• 478 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I meant tear down video
Photo of Paul

Paul

• 754 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
It doesn't seem like that $179 price was ever real. Why would you pay $179 for the bare tool, when the combo with the battery and charter is only $50 more? That is a lot of value for the $50, even if you already have batteries.

All of the other tools have a $100 premium for the battery/charger versions, so ~$120 makes sense with the previous pricing structure. 
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.