15 string trimmer joint won't tighten

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
String trimmer won't tighten at the joint,I've tightened the screw as tight as it will go but when I use the trimmer it wants to fold up on me. Am I missing something? Just got it today and so far I'm disappointed.
Photo of John

John

• 182 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
There are 2 screws that hold it from collapsing. The pivot point is just that. The other 2 hold it straight. Send picture of the coupling
Photo of John

John

I've tightened every screw involved with that hinge joint and if you give the trimmer a little bounce in your hands it collaps to a 15 degree angle. Screw can't be tightened any more
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
That's not normal, but we can't help you figure out why it's happening unless you take a picture and post it here.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Official Response
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,706 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
sounds like you didn't install the two screws that came packaged with the trimmer.
Photo of John

John

The screws were already installed,no others screws came with it
Photo of John

John

Oh, now I see, I didn't receive those screws. That's where the problem ls.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

They were taped to the packaging in mine. Easy to overlook. Hopefully you haven't gotten rid of yours yet!
Photo of John

John

Feel like such a fool right now. I found them,they were in the owners Manuel packet along with the Allen wrench. Thanks guys for all your advise and sorry.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Whoo Hooo!!!! A win!!!! Finally.. I'm so happy.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Small victories, I'm good with that! :-)
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
John, we're glad to see everyone could help you here!  What a great community effort!
Photo of Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson

• 60 Points
Happy for John that his problem was solved. Unfortunately for me, I *did* install the two screws in question, but the shaft still won't stay straight. I've left a message w/ Ego support to call me. But, thought it worth checking her to see if anyone else had had the problem.
Photo of Raul Armas

Raul Armas

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hello I am having the same issue, I used the bolts included in the package and the hinge folds apart
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,706 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
can u upload a photo?  it makes no sense to me that if you installed the bolts in the correct location, the hinge could be loose.  in fact, it's just not possible.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The only thing I can come up with is maybe the holes are not threaded? But this would be obvious when installing the screws as they would not get tight...
(Edited)
Photo of Raul Armas

Raul Armas

Blue Angel, after taking a closer look I think you are onto something. You can see the thread on the holes but it is very faint , not sure how to best describe it, but it does not hold on to the bolts. The bolts are tight all the way in but the minute I pick it up it comes apart as you see on pic above
Photo of Raul Armas

Raul Armas

After looking at it and the picture I just took, looks like I put the bolts on the wrong end. I flipped them and looks like it's good to go. Thank you guys.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Glad you figured it out!

I'd already taken a picture of mine to show how the screws should go through the narrower side and screw into the wider side. I'll go ahead and post for anyone else who may have the same issue and stumble across this thread.

Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,606 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Picture is worth a thousand words!