101 days! WITHOUT my snowblower and STILL counting!

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago

Ego's Repair system is seriously broken. Here's my story.

11/30/19 My ego snowblower quit working so we took it to our local Home Depot in Provo, UT they said it would take 6-8 weeks to get it fixed and shipped back.  That's a really long time for a tool that's only useful for part of the year anyways.

12/27/19 Called Home Depot, was told they tried to fix it but couldn't so they sent it off to Ego on 12/15/19.  They gave me a number at Ego to call. Called Ego and was given a case # but it hadn't been fixed yet.

1/21/20 Spoke with Brandi. Still waiting on parts

2/3/20 Spoke with Andrew. Still waiting on parts. 

2/20/20 Spoke with Lea Still waiting on parts. I asked to be connected to a manager.  Spoke with Toby.

3/10/20 Spoke with Shaunta.  Finally shipped.  It's going to take 10 business days!! 

I loved my Ego snowblower and my Ego lawnmower. I used to recommend them to everyone. I can't recommend them now because it doesn't matter how good a tool is if you can't get it fixed during the season you need it. 

I thought the 6-8 weeks was long for a repair but 110 days is our entire snow season. 

All the customer service agents were very polite and tried to help. It's just that no one seemed to really be concerned that the repair was taking so long.  They'd document the process and "expedite" it but nothing helped. There's also no concern about how badly this is gone or effort to rectify the situation.  I submitted a detailed review of the problem to Ego in February.  Got no reply.

Ego needs to track their repairs and if they haven't shipped back by the 6 week mark put someone in charge of getting that repair back to the customer. 

OR they could offer their customers a loaner machine while theirs is being fixed.

I'm 59 my husband is 62.  We shoveled all our snow by hand this year. 

I'M VERY UNHAPPY WITH EGO.
Photo of Beth

Beth

• 70 Points

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 12,122 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
That is terrible.  It sounds like HD first screwed up by not sending it out right away and then you got caught up in the shipping delays from China caused by the tariff war last fall.  If they didn't have the part in this country there was literally nothing they could do.  There were 10s of 1,000s of containers held up at the ports, so even once things loosened up the backlog nearly broke the supply chains.  Fingers crossed this is the last time you will have to deal with this.  
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 9,120 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
These are no excuses for customer service based long lived companies. Ego should have already sent her a new machine!
Photo of TK

TK

• 4,546 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
I don't have any issues with getting parts for my Toro gas, and I am not going to give it up. I'll just keep them both.

Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 12,122 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Not sure what your point is.  She doesn't have a toro, and many toro parts are made in the US, or interchangeable with other engines, so no supply chain issues. Curious how many parts you've had to buy for your gas machine over the years.   I am loving not hassling with the pia that goes with ICEs. 
Photo of TK

TK

• 4,546 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
I have had to buy no parts for my Toro gas, but I can get them at the local Hardware, and they are an authorized repair station. No more EGO for me until they get the repair problems together.
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 11,000 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Well sounds like you just found out a huge downside to this equipment. You can't just run down to a repair shop and get parts. It all must go to Home Depot and shipped off to Atlanta or somewhere to be fixed.

And if they can't fix it you might be waiting longer. Hopefully ACE hardware will become and authorized repair shop some day.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 83,354 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Also hoping ACE will get into the EGO repair game. Definitely need more sources for repair.
I was thinking that RCPW.com has a fair amount of EGO parts and pieces that if one knows the part number they need (either a call to EGO or might find a parts list online) they could then call RCPW to get the part. Of course, we want to use our warranty first so that's the real breakdown. If ACE possibly got in the game it would definitely help speed warranty things up I think.
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 2,358 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Part distribution is a big part of the problem. Even if a repair facility accurately determines the exact cause of the failure, it is just silly to have to order the replacement parts from China and then wait several weeks for the part to get delivered to the repair facility. The big HD RLC's (Phoenix, Indianapolis and Atlanta) all need to have full replacement part inventory in stock and on location. It's not rocket science. I doubt RCPW stocks everything. If they do, then why doesn't RCPW become a distribution hub for EGO replacement parts in the US or North America instead of farting around by ordering parts from China? It may cost EGO more, but the customers getting repairs done quickly would result in happier customers that are more likely to be repeat customers.

I find it bizarre because I can still easily get every single obscure little part for my 32 year old Snapper gas mower from many places.  
(Edited)
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Preachin' to the choir Frank. We are all hoping EGO's parts distribution will improve so it matches many of the other manufacturer's parts distribution systems. I've been asking for this since I bought my first EGO tool almost 4 years ago and continue to ask for it. 
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 2,358 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Mike - yeah I know. 101 days and counting is a deal breaker for many people including me. The tools I have are great, but lots of stories like this about mowers and snow blowers.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Frank, that's a huge breakdown in the repair system for sure. But, not sure there are as many stories as it appears. We all know that forums like these attract more negative comments than positive and I imagine the positive experiences way outweigh the negative. 
I continue to ask for more parts, parts breakdown lists and drawings, and more repair centers that don't require a visit to HD or Ace, or even a call to EGO CS just to get a part number. 
And, yeah, definitely plans should be in place to mitigate any tariff wars, or other possibilities that might impact inventories.
Photo of Lynn B Krull

Lynn B Krull

• 72 Points
I had my snowblower in for repair through Home Depot and had to send off to fix it, just pick it up the other day and noticed it was missing one of the green knob that tightens the handle bar down, and it was also missing six screws. I love the Ego products but there repair services is frustrating to say the least. Hopefully I hear back from them with good news.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 116,054 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Repairs are handled by Home Depot generally and some other authorized repair centers.  Ego does not do the repairs.
You will need to contact home Depot and/or Ego customer service regarding the problems.  Your post here will not get a response. (apologies if you already have, it was unclear to me in your post)
Ego customer service does a great job of making things right, so I would expect them to take care of you.
Photo of Lynn B Krull

Lynn B Krull

• 72 Points
I have already created a case number just waiting for a response, I didn't want a response through this means from them just venting. All I want is exact screws and green knob, I can install them my self. To forget to reinstall screws give me no confidence the repair was done right.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 116,054 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Agree that is terrible repair service by HD.  That system really needs huge improvements.