0.08 or 0.095 string?

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Answered
Anyone know if using 0.08 string will work with the 15” ST1500 trimmer? It comes with 0.095 and it almost seems that is too big (or I’m doing something wrong). My thinking is that smaller string means faster rotations. What do you guys think? Will this damage the tool/motor in any way? Thanks.
Photo of Lance

Lance

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Anna

Anna

• 250 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I actually purchased some heavy duty .095 string to replace what came with the unit and I haven't had any issues with it.  It's just a TINY bit harder to place it into the head, but there are no problems with the auto-wrap function.

What is your concern about faster rotations?  Are you using the tool for a specific application that would need that?

Photo of Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

• 172 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Unit calls for .095 string. .08 would come out too fast and you'd be rewinding forever I think. 
Photo of james

james

• 340 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
The .08 is what I use with my tool and cuts down on the debris flying in your face.
Photo of Lance

Lance

Thanks for the replies. My thinking is smaller lighter string = faster rotations = better cuts. My grass is quite thick and weedy and the cuts with the string it came with aren’t quite as crispy and sharp as I’d like.
Photo of Anna

Anna

• 250 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for explaining.  I live in the country and have wicked reedy grass along my fence line.  I got "Pulverizer twist .095" line and am really pleased with the result.
Photo of John Rapp

John Rapp

• 232 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I use generic .095 line. I can go several trim cycles without using any new line at all. No reason to go thinner.
Photo of AL Bernard

AL Bernard

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Broke off the guard on my ego weed trimmer. Where can I get a replacement?
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,484 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Al, give EGO CS a call. They will take care of you. Call early in the day to avoid hold times.
They can be reached at 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST (Monday - Friday) & 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (Saturday & Sunday).

Be sure to have the model number of the trimmer handy when you call. I don't know if the guard on all models is the same so you might need to provide a model number to get the correct guard for your model.
Photo of Lance

Lance

Just to give an update: I ended up going with the 0.08 as I saw a small spool for $2.97 at HD for 40’ for I had nothing to lose really. I actually think the 0.08 cuts better. I had the echo black diamond 0.095 from before and I’m not a fan. Might just be that brand or me just not knowing how to cut with .095 but the .08 seems to be working much better and I’m not losing string any faster. The manual says to use line no bigger than .095. It doesn’t say to ONLY use .095 so I’m assuming I’m ok with .08.