"dummy battery " to connect directly to a 120v outlet or battery backpack

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Answered
Is there a "dummy battery " to let you connect directly to a 120v outlet with an extension cord or a battery backpack for extended use? For use with the chainsaw, string trimmer etc.
Photo of Noah

Noah

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Sid Parish

Sid Parish

• 1,402 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
It wouldn't be that hard to make but not sure why you would want one for all the reason we purchase battery powered equipment is his to break away from the connection to the wall outlet the 7.5 battery easily gives you an hour May personally I don't want to be out there working for more than an hour at a time that a break and the thing charges in less than 30 minutes with a rapid charger
Photo of leo

leo

• 1,384 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Add me to the list of people who want this feature!  This would make EGO a Hybrid tool, how cool is that.  Plus you could build on the platform, EGO Fan, Vacuum, Drills, Grinders, Nail Guns, Car Buffer, Power Washer.... if you build it we will buy it for our EGO Garage.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,468 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I could see some future tools benefiting from the option of AC power, but for now I think these tools are good to go with batteries.

There's no AC adapter yet, but that doesn't mean there never will be.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,780 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I like this idea. ALOT
Photo of Jack

Jack

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Are you for real?  Buy another battery.
Photo of Steven Shelton

Steven Shelton

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The batteries cost as much as a new mower!
Photo of EGO fan

EGO fan

• 414 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I like this idea.  It would reduce the weight of a string trimmer.
Photo of Beth Walsh

Beth Walsh

• 5,278 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Why not just buy an electrical plug in unit then? They are tons cheaper.
Photo of leo

leo

• 1,444 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I love the idea, if give us Choice! there may be a time after a storm when you need to cut down a tree.   Or some event whereby you may want to run the tool longer without having to recharge.  Why should we have to invest in $1000 for 5 batteries for the rare time.  Its a good Idea.
Photo of xnappo

xnappo

• 408 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
There are exactly 0 corded self-propelled mowers - and with St. Augustine combined with my laziness that is actually the only reason I gave up my corded mower.  So would like to see this too.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

That's an awesome point Leo. Seriously....
120v to 12v DC converter that could handle the load and a interface plug for the Ego device. The only thing that needs to be built is the proprietary plug where the battery would go. Options for customers are a good thing.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,476 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I thought they were all supposed to be pretty smart batteries
(Edited)
Photo of Sid Parish

Sid Parish

• 1,402 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Isn't that why we invested and battery-powered tools is to get away from the cord now we're wanting to get technology to put us back onto the cord adapter battery powered equipment to run off chords I'm confused
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,018 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
You are right, but there are are some people who prefer corded tools because they are less expensive, you could get a 600 CFM corded axial blower for 60 bucks.
Photo of walt dutchak

walt dutchak

• 1,412 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
_ So I'm using my EGO snow thrower to clear the driveway and the snow is really falling, but I have an important appointment and have to get the car out.  The snow is deep.  I do just a bit of the driveway and the batteries fail - either discharged or malfunction - whatever, anything is possible.  
_ Now, if I have a "dummy battery" - 120v AC to 56v DC conversion device then I just plug it in, attach the extension cord to the AC power outlet and I can finish the driveway.
_ Otherwise, I have a snow thrower but have to finish by hand, but I will never do it and survive to be at my appointment.   I am 71 years old and shoveling by hand can be dangerous. 
_ So please, someone get a design out there and let's have that "dummy battery" as an option!
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 56,302 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yup, an AC to DC converter would be pretty cool. Turn your cordless into a corded tool but at least you could continue to use it if you don't have any more batteries to use.
Photo of EGO fan

EGO fan

• 414 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I would prefer to buy corded lawn tools because they weigh less and have infinite run time, but corded products are less available, are of limited variety, tend to be lower quality, and are not well-supported by the companies selling them. 
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,068 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
True on all counts for the most part.  I really want to see this dummy battery or at the very least some corded tools that are quiet. 
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

I just like options :)
Photo of leo

leo

Great idea!!! winds have pushed over a few trees, the Chain Saw is working overtime, if I had a plug in option it would make my life easier.  But I still like the battery, just not this week.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,110 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Interesting idea, but EGO does not currently offer anything quite like that.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

You meant, Not YET right
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,068 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
EGO should because so many people say that EGO stuff is out of their price range. It might not be if they could just buy the tool with the dummy battery.  The dummy battery with a plug to fit an extension cord could probably be a $30 buy, then people could just buy the tool only and save quite a bit of money and have no runtime restrictions.  It would appeal to people with tighter budgets or who are not willing to spend the extra money for a high-end cordless tool.  I really think you could make a lot of money off of that.  Some people will choose the hassle of a cord over the extra bucks.  

On top of that, there is a guy down the street from me that relies on corded products instead of battery stuff because of the reliability and low cost of his tools.  I'm saying that there is a market for it.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 101,884 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I have noticed Ryobi sells some of their tools as dual power.  And you do not need a dummy battery there is just a plug right on the tool under the battery dock.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Agreed... "hybrid" power is an awesome concept, whether or not it requires a dummy battery.

Just having the option would be great, and TAT offers a good point about keeping the price point down for those who may not have the budget for high end cordless but who want some of the best tools on the market.
Photo of Beth Walsh

Beth Walsh

• 5,278 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I disagree. The battery market is in it's Infancy. Why bleed off company resources to produce a lower quality tool with less profit margin? Spend the money on shelf space and supporting the line you already have makes sense to me. Also figure out why the batteries keep going bad and fix that problem.

If consumers want a lower priced corded unit let them buy the Toro, Ryobi or Craftsman products..
Photo of leo

leo

I could have used my Ego at a fund raiser car wast this past weekend. At blower would have cut down the drying time! Being able to run unlimited would have been cool. Like I said before, it would be nice to have a choice.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,878 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Agreed !!!
Photo of RickyTerzis

RickyTerzis

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Hi...according to me there may be a time after a storm when you need to cut down a tree. Or some event whereby you may want to run the tool longer without having to recharge.  Why should we have to invest in $1000 for 5 batteries for the rare time. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,234 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Ricky, the only time you'd need 5 batteries for the chainsaw is if you didn't have access to plug a charger in.

In that scenario a plug-in adapter wouldn't do you much good anyway. ;-)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 63,928 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
True true. You would be fine with two 5 ah batteries Ricky.
Photo of Beth Walsh

Beth Walsh

• 5,096 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I use two batteries every time I use the tool. My charger comes with me in the field and plugs Into the nearest power source where the spare battery is charging while I use the other. If you have an outlet for the corded unit just bring your charger.

I would love a solar charging backpack unit or add on for the charger. Now that would be cool if it could come very enough juice!
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 9,344 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I suggested this a while ago, along the line of Leo's comment. Why not do a standalone battery mount with a good inverter and common plug, and toss in some usb ports. Then we could run any corded thing with it, like lights in a power outage, or take our corded power tools to places with no power? There is somebody out there with a battery like this already, it would be nice if there were some competition by making the Egos convertable?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

I make all of my own ego powered stuff because I'm not willing to wait 5 years for new tools. So get an inverter that runs off of 60v. Get battery connection bays on eBay. Connect multiple batteries using schottky diodes. And voila you have a working unit for 200 bucks
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

How is the sine output? I understand that some inverters are not stable/constant enough to run delicate things like electronics? Which inverter are you using?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

From my limited understanding, you just need to get a pure sine wave inverter. Stepped inverters can cause issues.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Yes you want a pure sine wave inverter. Not modified not square wave. They are cheap and bad for ac motors.

Get a pure sine wave inverter that takes a 48 to 60v input.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mp...

Then get a
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mp...
To shut the system down when voltage drops too low.

Then a battery adapter for the ego battery. I'd get a bay from a trimmer or mower. They are on ebay alot. I have like 12 so they show up.
Photo of BusDriver

BusDriver

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 86,914 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yes, the dream has become a reality.
(relative of Erik ?)
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

yes, I am drooling over that, but isn't it just for connecting other Ego tools? I am hoping for an adapter with an inverter and regular ac plug so we can power any of our hand tools. adding it as a feature to the backpack would be gravy!
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 101,884 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
so far just ego tools thru the empty battery connector.
Hopefully a power station is coming soon.