$100 Price Drop on the 21" Self Propelled Mower - Crazy Ego Prices

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Out of date

Some good news is that the 21" Self Propelled Ego mower is now $499 at Home Depot. Bad news is that means that the 20" Steel Deck version is now $250 more than it. Hopefully that will be followed by a price drop as well.  
Photo of Brad Cote

Brad Cote

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Brad Cote

Brad Cote

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I also wanted to note a few ego prices that don't seem to make sense. 

For instance: Brushless hedge trimmer without battery is less than the older hedge trimmer without battery.  

16" chainsaw with 5Ah battery is only $20 more than the 14" chainsaw with 2.5Ah battery

A $799 snow blower comes with  $817.49 worth of batteries and chargers. 

If you buy just an edger or just a pole saw attachment they are the same price. However if you buy the edger in a kit with the power head and 2.5Ah battery its $249. The same kit but with the pole saw instead of the edger is $349.

There are lots of other examples. Its like they make no sense. 
Photo of Bud Bud

Bud Bud

• 466 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
The price drop occurred at the exact time I walked into Home Depot to buy my new 21" self propelled mower. If it were not for the drop, I may have waited longer. However, I cant wait for California to dry out so I can play with my new toy. And YES! These prices and kits are very confusing. Hey, but at least there is only one 56V battery system to deal with. Does anyone know the longevity of the batteries?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 139,124 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Assuming no unforeseen issues, most people should see 10+ years of service from Ego batteries. Nobody really knows for sure, just a guess based on manufacturer’s published data on the cells used.
Photo of Cldlhd

Cldlhd

• 788 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I would hope 10 years. I know you're paying for convenience and lack of noise/ emissions but for $400 I can buy a really good ICE mower and the engine will last 20 years. I'm thinking about getting the 21" mower on sale for $399 but my luck if I wait they'll all be brushless next year. I was hoping that by now battery prices would have dropped more.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Regarding battery prices, I agree. When a higher capacity cell hits the market it’s generally at a similar price as the lower capacity cell before it years earlier. Therefore today’s higher capacity pack should launch at the same price as the model it’s replacing.

That doesn’t happen. Retailers will charge what the market will bear, and Home Depot is definitely not going to stray from that game plan any time soon:

http://pragmaticpricing.com/2013/10/1...
Photo of Cldlhd

Cldlhd

Well hopefully more competition will force that. I was in Lowes the other day and the Greenworks 60v mower looked pretty good. It has a brushless motor and a 21" deck for $369. I'd rather get the EGO but it's tempting.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Pressure from other brands is good incentive to keep pricing aggressive.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 139,784 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Brad, you’re absolutely right, though I’d be surprised if these prices were not just a temporary sale. The 5Ah push mower kit is also reduced:

Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 2,048 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
How long does Home Depot's "New Lower Price" deals usually last? Are we talking days or weeks?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 42,968 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
They have one day deals, they have temporary prices drops that last as long as current inventory, they have sales that last for several weeks.  Problem here is there is no description included with this price drop to define it in any one of those categories, so it is very hard to give you an answer.

Shop at your own risk (of  price change).  Which always applies I guess.
(Edited)
Photo of Bud Bud

Bud Bud

I am new to this. But so far, I am an ego fan and plan on buying more. Other than checking Home Depot daily or local ads, is there any portal or link to upcoming or current sales that anyone knows of?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Bud, you are on it.  With all of the Ego fans here as well as a couple of Ego employees (Jennifer and Amber), I can't think of a better place to get a heads up on any sales.
Photo of Bud Bud

Bud Bud

Sounds good because I'm not done yet!
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Bud - What is your current line up and what is on your wish list
Photo of Bud Bud

Bud Bud

Three days ago I got the 21in self-propelled mower. Yesterday I ordered the 580 blower. I want to replace all my echo products and probably get the powerhead and all the attachments. Down the line most likely a snowblower.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Sounds nice - Enjoy !
Photo of K Moni

K Moni

• 60 Points
I've been looking at these for at least a year now. It's still snowing up here in MI, so I'm not ready to buy yet. I saw the price drop last weekend. I believe the 5Ah battery will be enough, but the self propelled 7.5 battery is a $100 upgrade by itself. I don't need self propelled, but I have a 7 year old who will want to cut grass in a few years. I'll probably got the push mower and see how the battery does. I also saw today next to the price it saws "New lower price", so maybe it's not a sale.
(Edited)
Photo of DEChlorine

DEChlorine

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
If you have a Menards in your market, Home Depot might match their 11% rebate for you as well. The rebates aren't posted until after the period ends but it typically coincides with the Menards deal.
https://www.homedepotrebates11percent.com/
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 42,876 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I would be surprised if they honor that since Ego is exclusive to Home Depot. But you might get lucky.
Photo of Bud Bud

Bud Bud

Unfortunately for me, I don't see any for California. Thanks for the lead. I will look into it further.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 2,024 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I took a look at what qualifies for the rebate and I don't see anything that would disqualify me from the 11% rebate. The EGO's SKU was NOT on the  full list of SKUs excluded...so I think I'm good. The only uncertainty I have is whether an online purchase with store pickup qualifies or whether this needs to be an in-store purchase. To be safe, I went to the store (which is less than a mile from Menards). Nice find DEChlorine! If my math is right, this $599 EGO mower only cost me $444.11. 
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 5,370 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I took advantage of the Menards match on several of my Ego products. Just remember it’s in store purchases only.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 2,024 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
For those that are curious, the Menards match was found valid for my purchase. So if you made an in-store purchase between 03/04/2018 - 03/10/2018 and have a Menards in town...you likely qualify for a rebate on these Mowers (or any other HD purchased EGO equipment). 
(Edited)
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 6,862 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
So HD matched Menards 11% rebate even though Menards doesn't even carry EGO?
Photo of dH

dH

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Erik, the link provided showed it was anything in the store, just like the Menards rebate, HD rebate page doesnt even mention menards. But it was clear thats why they were offering it, and only at select HD's the ones near Menards. 
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 6,862 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I'll have to check next time they run it, I just looked and all the stores near me were eligible.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

This is the day I bought my first EGO product. The Home Depot salesman says this was personally his first lawn mower sale of 2018. I live in South Dakota and we're snow covered...and here I am buying a lawn mower!  With the longevity of the "new lower price" in question, I didn't want to take the chance of waiting too long. I took my time last year and by the time I was ready to buy...the prices had gone back up to full price. So if you're thinking of making a purchase...don't wait too long and have the same mistake I made last year. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 42,606 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Great post Bryan.  Enjoy your new mower !
Photo of Cldlhd

Cldlhd

I'm thinking about making the leap myself and we just got a foot of snow in the suburbs of Philly.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike

• 16,354 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Congrats on the purchase, Bryan. Be sure to unbox it and make sure the battery and charger work and also run the mower, even if only in the garage to make sure everything works as it should. 
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

First thing I did was take the battery and charger out and run it in the house (my garage gets below freezing this time of year). I plan on spending my Saturday getting the rest out of the box to make sure all is there and all works.
Photo of dH

dH

Good timing, was waiting to get closer to mower season here in Michigan, and had decided on the Kobalt walk behind 80V with 2 batteries, price had dropped to $449 but all of the sudden they are gone, and now this deal pops up. Looks like HD has a 90 day return, so we can see if the 7.5 Ah battery will make it through our lawn. I'm skeptical but will try. (With our gas mower takes more than 1hr to mow our lawn.) But thats not run time, cause we bag and have to empty it not sure what run time is... 
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 42,876 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I think you'll be pleased with the runtime of the 7.5 Ah battery. My yard takes about 45 minutes to mow and I can do it with the 5.0 Ah battery (except for the first couple of mows of spring when the grass is super thick).

Even when my 5.0 battery falls short, a few minutes on the rapid charger will take me over the finish line. The 7.5 goes from dead to fully charged in a little over half an hour on the rapid charger, and you don't have to fully charge it to finish your lawn.

Let us know how it works out for you.
Photo of Cldlhd

Cldlhd

Good to know as I'm leaning towards the 5.0 Ah battery and my lawn take about 45 minutes to cut.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 137,830 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Ken, the 7.5 takes about 60 min to fully charge.
Photo of Steve Hayes

Steve Hayes

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I hit that $399 yesterday at HD, and signing up for their credit card knocked $75.00 off. Pay it off in a month and good to go.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 40,398 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
WOW $325 - can't beat that price !
Nicely done Steve - Enjoy some quite mowing this spring
Photo of dH

dH

Wow $75 off with credit appl. not offering that here, Hopefully you can do the 11% rebate and get even more back. 
Photo of Bud Bud

Bud Bud

All things must pass. Just go buy one and find out.
Photo of dH

dH

Yup, Local Lowes had the Kobalt for $449, $50 off with credit application, plus 5% so $375. I see on ebay can get a third battery for $45 and wife will be able to mow all day long.  Happy wife, Happy life. 
Photo of Cldlhd

Cldlhd

So the local Home Depot has the LM 2101 and the LM 2002-p in stock for $399. Sorry for the stupid question but isn't the LM 2101 a newer model and is there a logical reason not to pick it over the LM 2002-p? Wife says she'll get it for my birthday so might go grab one today. Thanks for any advice.
Photo of dH

dH

If you plow through reviews and comments some like the original 2002 better. But overall not sure there is much difference. Both are only the 5Ah battery. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Both push mowers
Both 5.0 battery
20" v 21"
2002-P comes with a standard charger
2101 comes with the rapid charger
Photo of dH

dH

Missed the charger difference. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Also a HL blade is currently available for the 21 but not the 20.  Some people have found that it makes a huge difference with their lawn and the way they mow.
Photo of Cldlhd

Cldlhd

Ya I was reading about the HL blade last night and ,as with most things, there were various opinions. Seemed like it had a lot more lift but at the expense if run time apparently. I'll probably give it a shot . Heading down to get the mower now, thanks .

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.